Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi I am a performance pc enthusast and I wanna upgrade the stock cpu celeron single core 900 cpu of my Compaq Presario CQ56 219-wm laptop.  

Can u tell me what following  cpu will work with your current F.15 bios? 

Intel Core Duo Mobile T9300

Intel Core Duo Mobile T9500

If not those what would be the highest cpu supported?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Most of the better equiped models the CPU's are in many cases sockets thus allowing easy replacement & some upgrade scope and the rest may be soldered on to the motherboard.

Use CPU-Z to get details on current chip socket & mainboard details, but in all honesty a new notebook with decent intel is way to go & more upgradeable too.But the best way to go about it with out you having to worry about the compatibility of components and driver issues, is to go for a new PC which has the CPU you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

***** Click the Thumbs UP (Like) on the Right to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

HP Recommended

I have verified those 2 cpu's  with the  cpu Z program and www.cpuworld.com.  Those cpus are from the same Penryn core, same 200 megahertz FSB, same thermal design and are compatible with the Intel GL40 chipset.  The only unsure thing is whether HP's F.15 current custom bios supports it I'm not sure of.  If not I wanna know the highest one that will guarantees  run and work either one of those or a pentium or celeron dual core cpu with 2 or 4 megs of l2 cache.  Does anyone in HP have that info or has tested and verified it.  Best thing to do is see if higher end laptops with that bios use that processor if so I am all set.

Single core celeron with 1 meg of cache just doesnt do it for me.   I am a pc builder and enjoy doing upgrades.  

HP Recommended

Here's the problem. The motherboards used by HP on the Celeron models often do not have the advanced features to support the Pentium processors. There is no guarantee in other words. You can do the replacement. The processor is socketed. The Core 2 Duo models will fit and the laptop will likely boot but you may not get the clock speed you anticipate and the laptop may run hot and unstable. One thing you can do is open the memory cover and give us the model number of the motherboard. This may tell us the chipset and other information that will make it possible to see if your motherboard will support the C2Duo CPUs.

HP Recommended

I am guessing the white sticker on the DIMM socket itselft would be the correct sticket?? I have 3 different white stickers on the backside underneath the black RAM cover itself and I also have a long white sticker located on the DIMM socket with 3 different separte numbers on it.  I will give you those 3 located on the DIMM socket itself.  Here they are.

CT:PX380011ZO6EV1 bottom left of sticker

These 2 are located upper right of sticker:

31AX3MB0080

LAN:984BE1BE3F66

My chipset information from CPU-Z

Northbridge Intel GL40 rev.07

Southbridge Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M) rev. 03

HP Recommended

Also I would be applying a fresh Artic silver 5 thermal paste to the cpu  and I also have a laptop cooler for the heat issues.  

HP Recommended

Where that Smiley was suppose to be a :

HP Recommended

Pretty sure the GL40 chipset is used only for Celeron/Pentium Dual processors. Notice that no Core2Duo was offered on the CQ56-200 Intel line. Just Celeron and the T4500. The GL40 was a special chipset for "value-oriented applications".

Service Manual

This is anecdotal but you have some folks who claim to have successfully installed Core2Duo processors on GL40 laptop motherboards, including at least one HP. However, note the "official" compatibility list and take other claims with a grain of salt:

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_%28chipsets%29/GL40_Express.html

In other words, it might work even likely will work but it is a gamble.

HP Recommended

Hey, iv'e just upgraded my CQ56-201tu from Celeron T3500 to Pentium T4500 and it runs sweet!

If you want more processing power, perhaps spend more money on a better laptop and upgrade it...

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for posting your success!  Since you've done it that makes my purchase alot less chance full and I can relax a bit.  I have the Compaq CQ-56 219-wm Celeron 900 and I plan on going to the T4500.  I plan on going with some new ram.  I am running the F.13 bios and would update before I do the cpu upgrade.  Are you running the F.15 Bios as I am only curious to ensure compatibility?  I would buy a more expensive laptop and Core I5's are smoking but I am on a limited low budget.  This laptop will overperform I just wanted to keep it as long as I could.  Thanks for the post 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.