Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-e171nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently my laptop displays innaccurate time (loses time)when starting up after powering down 8-10 hours. . I always have to correct the time setting every day. I have the internet time setting correct, I upgraded the bios and reinstalled the cmos/clock software in windows per hp support yet the issue persists. I was wondering if the cmos battery is the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Replace the CMOS battery anyway.

It will be a standard 2032.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

The RTC (or CMOS) battery should last much longer than 2 or 3 years (the age of your machine), and machine will sync its clock when you connect to internet, no need to reset. I don't believe this is a RTC battery problem.

But please try the following methods first

http://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c01853713

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-reasons-windows-computer-loses-time-date/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I tried all of these and the problem happens all of the time. I have to manually resync to get the correct time even though the time zone setting is correct and the auto syc is checked.

HP Recommended

Replace the CMOS battery anyway.

It will be a standard 2032.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. According to the my computers manual, the rtc battery looks like it is wrapped in shrink wrap and has wires attached to it.  Any tips on how to get at it without taking the whole laptop apart?

HP Recommended

I had the battery replaced. Keeps the accurate time now. Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.