Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Probook 650 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently received a HP Probook 650 G2.

I 'wanted' the Probook for it one of the last laptops built with a 'real' onboard RS-232 serial port.

I also desired a quad core processor and would have never dreamed a modern high-end processor would only be dual core.

BUT..I was surprised that the Core i7 6600U processor in my new laptop is only has TWO CORES and 4megs of cache.

Ughhh!!

It was at that moment I remembered was ASSUME stands for...

So, when I went out to HP's site to check and sure enough, all the i3, i5 and i7 processors are all dual core.

The only exception was the i7 6820HQ that is a quad core processor, 8megs of cache and has the intergrated Intel HD Graphics 530.

I have no idea how much better the  Intel HD Graphics 530 over the  Intel HD Graphics 520 that came with my unit.

Can a person upgrade power sipping dual core i7 to a stronger, muscle flexing, power gulping, quad core, 8+megs of cache processor?

Is the CPU socketed?

Can my current motherboard accept a 68xxHQ processor?

My guess with the stronger CPU that using more power that a different heatsink/fan would be required?

Would my power adapter work?

The simplest way would be buy a NEW laptop with the specs I want, but it rather late for that.

This Probook 650 G2 was not cheap and if I were to go to the boss for more $,$$$ for another laptop...well, it would not be pleasant.

Your comments, suggestions, opinions and flames are all welcome!

Bryan Smith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

See p. 24 of the Service Manual here. 

Manual

See the long list of motherboards each of which includes a processor? You asked whether the processor is socketed? No it is not and that is the end of the upgrade quest, unless you swapped out the motherboard. I am guessing just the motherboard with the i7-6820HQ is going to be well over $1000. How about nearly $1500?

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=ACF58104B267443785EDA1D549D7EFC2&SearchIn=P...

Before you throw rocks at the "mere" dual core i7 in your laptop, consider that it performs nearly on par with a 4th gen high end quad core.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6600U-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4850HQ

Modern high end processors, particularly in laptops, need to also consider power usage. Of course a Quad Core Skylake will be even more of a beast. The Intel 530 video is a minor improvement over the 520 for execution units, clock speed and gflops as shown below:

HD Graphics 520GT2241050403.2
HD Graphics 530GT2241150441.6

The Iris graphics is where it starts to be noticeably better. 

If you figure a way to talk the boss into something new consider the Zbook G3 series. It can be equipped with up to a Xeon Quad-Core but even those are soldered on. It seems to be the trend. I think power management has gotten so tricky that it is hard to prevent power loss through any kind of a socketed processor and everything has to be as slim as possible for consumers, even the muscular workstation portables. 

Post back with any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

See p. 24 of the Service Manual here. 

Manual

See the long list of motherboards each of which includes a processor? You asked whether the processor is socketed? No it is not and that is the end of the upgrade quest, unless you swapped out the motherboard. I am guessing just the motherboard with the i7-6820HQ is going to be well over $1000. How about nearly $1500?

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=ACF58104B267443785EDA1D549D7EFC2&SearchIn=P...

Before you throw rocks at the "mere" dual core i7 in your laptop, consider that it performs nearly on par with a 4th gen high end quad core.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6600U-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4850HQ

Modern high end processors, particularly in laptops, need to also consider power usage. Of course a Quad Core Skylake will be even more of a beast. The Intel 530 video is a minor improvement over the 520 for execution units, clock speed and gflops as shown below:

HD Graphics 520GT2241050403.2
HD Graphics 530GT2241150441.6

The Iris graphics is where it starts to be noticeably better. 

If you figure a way to talk the boss into something new consider the Zbook G3 series. It can be equipped with up to a Xeon Quad-Core but even those are soldered on. It seems to be the trend. I think power management has gotten so tricky that it is hard to prevent power loss through any kind of a socketed processor and everything has to be as slim as possible for consumers, even the muscular workstation portables. 

Post back with any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you Huffer for your excellent reply.

Your explanation was the education I needed to pick up my dragging knuckles out of the dirt.

Without having researched it any, I had a wild guess these latest gen dual core i7 were more beefy that I had given them credit for.

I knew they were thrifty on power.

You have proved that they are.

I need to use my new Probook 650 for a while and get to know better before I throw rocks at it. (aka open mouth insert foot)

You stated it best, my "upgrade quest" ends here and now.

Thank you!

Bryan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.