Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 840 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Can anyone please suggest if the DDR4 RAM is supported for HP Elitebook 840 G1 model.

This laptop supports total of 16GB RAM. I have 8GB DDR3 in one slot and can I place DDR4 8GB RAM in another slot ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No the physical configuration of the memory modules is different. Your laptop ONLY takes 

Two customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots with the following specifications: DDR3L-1600-MHz dual channel support

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

No the physical configuration of the memory modules is different. Your laptop ONLY takes 

Two customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots with the following specifications: DDR3L-1600-MHz dual channel support

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hello Huffer,

Thank you for your quick help. May I pls know how do I identify the DDR3 RAM with dual channel support ? Is it some code mentioned on the barcode sticker ?

I have the following RAM in my laptop at present:

8GB 2Rx8 PC3L - 12800S - 11 - 13 F3

Thanks.

HP Recommended

If you get another chip just like it even from a different vendor it will run in dual channel. Has to be the same speed (DDR3-1600 aka PC3 12800) and voltage (in this case low 1.35 v denominated as DDR3L) and same density (4 or 8 black blocks on the side of the module).

HP Part No. is:

8-GB memory module 693374-001

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PC3L-12800-204-Pin-SoDimm-M471b1g73bh0-yk0/dp/B00J8U549K/ref=sr_1_2?i...

Where are you located (country)? 

HP Recommended

Hi Friend,

Thanks. I am from Eurpoe.

I have the following RAM in my old laptop which is dual channel but with of less speed. Do you think this old RAM fits into 840 G1 ?

RAM

HP Recommended

It will fit but likely will not work and if it did it would slow everything down. Buy compatible memory. You will not be sorry. 

HP Recommended

HEllo Huffer,

I have an HP EliteBook 840 G1 and I want upgrade the RAM,

I have seen that the correct RAM specification must be:

DDR3L-1600-MHz

PC3L-12800

I've found a RAM detailed as

PC3L-12800S

"S" stands for "SODIMM", Small Outline DIMM, module with reduced length; is the form factor of the modules for laptops, it should be the one suitable for my HP EliteBook 840 G1.
So the S is a redundant product description?

Thank You for your support,

best regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.