Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Simpy put I went to update the bios on my notebook as I have previously without incident.  Well this time the update downloaded, installed and powered down Windows Vista 64bit SP1.  After that nothing! The power lights come on but that is it.  No HP Screen, No MSFT Screen no nothing.  I honestly think this is a bios update caused by HP's own update. This is the update I installed: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-67379-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...   Long story short HP online chat support was very helpful and will be sending me a prepaid next day air box to ship at their expense to fix this problem.  Any comments are welcome but I strongly recommend anyone with this notebook not install this update!!! I already took out the battery, unseated the ram and the like with no results.  I sure hope they can fix this.

LordVader311
"The Power of the dark-side!"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

lordvader311, several of us already bricked our dv4s with HP latest bios update but you can fix it yourself in just a few minutes as follows

BTW, the credit for this goes to PONGSTER who told us all about it.....

Edit Note:

I've edited the steps for dv4-1140GO users. By the way, the 1125nr, 1140go and the CQ45 seem to share the same board, as they use the exact same BIOS Flashing application.  This bodes well for all of you who need to get theire dv4 fixed, instead of sending it in for repairs.  Remember, if you messed up your BIOS, sending it in for repairs is not the only solution, as I found out, after researching on all possible solutions.  Follow these steps before sending anything in for repairs:smileyhappy:

I have a dv4-1125nr.  I'm not sure this will help, but you may as well try it out before sending yours in for repair.  I fixed my messed BIOS update by following the exact steps I'm going to outline here.  There is hope, and you don't need to have your Motherboard replaced.  Simply follow the instructions and you should be typing on your dv4 again in no time.  It took me about 10 minutes, tops, to get all this done.

Here we go:

Okay... here are the exact steps I took to get my dv4 back in working condition after a failed BIOS update using HP's buggy update (I just had to repeat what we all already know... ) I have merely cut and paste 0.0's steps, so all credit goes to him and the genius over at the Acer section of this (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=340079&page=3) forum (Bigozone)

Here is the exact Model No. and general specs: dv4-1125nr, Intel Integrated Graphics 4500, Yada-yada-yada (all I needed to determine was which BIOS update was needed for my dv4 with integrated graphics... more on that later)

1. Go to this site: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2100&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3795301  and download the file : ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp41501-42000/sp41969.exe

2. Go to where you downloaded the file and using 7-Zip (or your tool of choice of course) unzip the contents to a folder of your choice. We'll get to this again later, so keep this folder open.

3. I used a 128MB USB Thumbdrive (the smallest I could find, since they said the smaller the better ) and reformatted as FAT (default) in Vista by right clicking the drive and clicking "format"

4. Now that my USB thumbdrive is ready, go back to the folder where you extracted the BIOS update file (The folder's still open right?)

5. If you have Integrated Intel Graphics like me, copy the 30F7F24U.FD to the USB drive and RENAME the file 30F7F24U.FD to 30F7.BIN

NOTE: file 30F7F24U.FD is for those with the integrated Intel 4500 video, while 30F7F24D.FD is for those with the discrete Nvida graphics. 

copy the appropriate file to the thumb drive then on the thumb drive rename it to 30F7.BIN

The next steps are 0.0's exact steps, which I've merely numbered: (Please follow the exact procedures here and 5 minutes from now, you'll be typing a reply to this post on your currently borked dv4 )

6. Disconnect the AC adapter from the notebook.

7. Remove the battery from the notebook.

8. Inserted the USB thumb drive into one of the USB ports on the notebook.
Didn't seem to matter which one.

9. Hold down the 'Windows' Key and the 'B' key.

10. Connected the AC adapter.

11. Pressed the 'Power' button on the notebook.

12. When the LEDs came on, let go of power button and the two keys held down earlier.

13. After about 10 seconds the notebook started reading the USB thumb drive. While searching for the file the notebook beeped once a second.
The number of beeps varied, depending on how big the thumb drive was and
the number of files on the thumb drive, from just one beep to many.
If the file was not found, the notebook would reset itself and try again.

14. If the file was found then it took about 12 seconds for the notebook to load it. No beeping sounds heard during the loading time.

15. When loaded the notebook started flashing, indicated by beeps every 2 seconds. This took about 32 seconds.

16. About 5 seconds after the beeping had stopped the notebook shutdown.
BIOS worked normally thereafter.

My added last step:

17. Dance for joy!!! Hehehe These instructions should be on the HP website, since they don't seem to bother testing the updates they push to users (Here I go again!)

Hope this helps all of us (It will help me when I mess up my BIOS Flashing again... hehehe)

Message Edited by tdk on 01-13-2009 05:32 PM
Message Edited by tdk on 01-13-2009 05:34 PM

View solution in original post

84 REPLIES 84
HP Recommended

lordvader311, several of us already bricked our dv4s with HP latest bios update but you can fix it yourself in just a few minutes as follows

BTW, the credit for this goes to PONGSTER who told us all about it.....

Edit Note:

I've edited the steps for dv4-1140GO users. By the way, the 1125nr, 1140go and the CQ45 seem to share the same board, as they use the exact same BIOS Flashing application.  This bodes well for all of you who need to get theire dv4 fixed, instead of sending it in for repairs.  Remember, if you messed up your BIOS, sending it in for repairs is not the only solution, as I found out, after researching on all possible solutions.  Follow these steps before sending anything in for repairs:smileyhappy:

I have a dv4-1125nr.  I'm not sure this will help, but you may as well try it out before sending yours in for repair.  I fixed my messed BIOS update by following the exact steps I'm going to outline here.  There is hope, and you don't need to have your Motherboard replaced.  Simply follow the instructions and you should be typing on your dv4 again in no time.  It took me about 10 minutes, tops, to get all this done.

Here we go:

Okay... here are the exact steps I took to get my dv4 back in working condition after a failed BIOS update using HP's buggy update (I just had to repeat what we all already know... ) I have merely cut and paste 0.0's steps, so all credit goes to him and the genius over at the Acer section of this (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=340079&page=3) forum (Bigozone)

Here is the exact Model No. and general specs: dv4-1125nr, Intel Integrated Graphics 4500, Yada-yada-yada (all I needed to determine was which BIOS update was needed for my dv4 with integrated graphics... more on that later)

1. Go to this site: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2100&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3795301  and download the file : ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp41501-42000/sp41969.exe

2. Go to where you downloaded the file and using 7-Zip (or your tool of choice of course) unzip the contents to a folder of your choice. We'll get to this again later, so keep this folder open.

3. I used a 128MB USB Thumbdrive (the smallest I could find, since they said the smaller the better ) and reformatted as FAT (default) in Vista by right clicking the drive and clicking "format"

4. Now that my USB thumbdrive is ready, go back to the folder where you extracted the BIOS update file (The folder's still open right?)

5. If you have Integrated Intel Graphics like me, copy the 30F7F24U.FD to the USB drive and RENAME the file 30F7F24U.FD to 30F7.BIN

NOTE: file 30F7F24U.FD is for those with the integrated Intel 4500 video, while 30F7F24D.FD is for those with the discrete Nvida graphics. 

copy the appropriate file to the thumb drive then on the thumb drive rename it to 30F7.BIN

The next steps are 0.0's exact steps, which I've merely numbered: (Please follow the exact procedures here and 5 minutes from now, you'll be typing a reply to this post on your currently borked dv4 )

6. Disconnect the AC adapter from the notebook.

7. Remove the battery from the notebook.

8. Inserted the USB thumb drive into one of the USB ports on the notebook.
Didn't seem to matter which one.

9. Hold down the 'Windows' Key and the 'B' key.

10. Connected the AC adapter.

11. Pressed the 'Power' button on the notebook.

12. When the LEDs came on, let go of power button and the two keys held down earlier.

13. After about 10 seconds the notebook started reading the USB thumb drive. While searching for the file the notebook beeped once a second.
The number of beeps varied, depending on how big the thumb drive was and
the number of files on the thumb drive, from just one beep to many.
If the file was not found, the notebook would reset itself and try again.

14. If the file was found then it took about 12 seconds for the notebook to load it. No beeping sounds heard during the loading time.

15. When loaded the notebook started flashing, indicated by beeps every 2 seconds. This took about 32 seconds.

16. About 5 seconds after the beeping had stopped the notebook shutdown.
BIOS worked normally thereafter.

My added last step:

17. Dance for joy!!! Hehehe These instructions should be on the HP website, since they don't seem to bother testing the updates they push to users (Here I go again!)

Hope this helps all of us (It will help me when I mess up my BIOS Flashing again... hehehe)

Message Edited by tdk on 01-13-2009 05:32 PM
Message Edited by tdk on 01-13-2009 05:34 PM
HP Recommended

Hi there,

im so stupid to update my bios w/o even researching, or probably more stupid to think that if it came from HP it probably would be worry free,,

anyway, bricked my DV4-1028us and cant seem to find the bios update on its software support page,,,

i cant even find sp41969.exe on HP's ftp site,,,

can anybody send me the file,,,,  darkblue0409@gmail.com

big thanks in advance 

HP Recommended

Darkblue, it should be in your email box right now.....

tdk

HP Recommended

hi tdk,

thanks a lot,

checked my email, not yet in,,,

hope that this could spare me the hassles of bringing my laptop to the service center,,

HP Recommended

hi tdk,

i think its unusually taking too long to receive your email,

if its not too much to ask, can you pls resend the file to

include my yahoo mail,   richie_bsie@yahoo.com

thanks again & best regards,,,,,, 

HP Recommended

DarkBlue, it should be in your yahoo box now....

tdk

HP Recommended

hi tdk,

cant seem to receive your emails,,but thanks anyway...

best regards 

HP Recommended
anyone can help me to find my bios version for CQ40, I've got this problem too. Hopefully its can help me to solve my laptop like you guys. any reply is much appreciated
HP Recommended

my general spec for my compaq is CQ40-155TU email [text removed for privacy]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.