Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Does anyone have or know the layout of the webcam? DV5 webcam has built-in mic.  I want to see if I can modify it to work with other model using the correct plug.

HP Recommended

Not positive, but it's more than likely just a non-standard or hard-wired USB connection. The few webcams I've looked up specs for have all been USB. The mic may be an actual audio connection though. You'll need to go into the device manager or use something like FreshDiag to get the component's specific manufacturer, make and model to get the specs on it. I've seen the same laptop model use components from differant manufacturers between two supposedly identical laptops. If HP has 3 or 4 different vendors for their webcams, it could be any one of them. FreshDevice's FreshDiag will get you the actual specific info, Device Manager may give you some generic HP name for it (though technically that should work just as well)

Hope this helps!
AeSix

HP Recommended

it would be nice if I ahve DV5 to test the webcam and get its info from device manager.

After my DV5 webcam been laying around.  I thought I splice up the cable and connected to USB tip.  I couldn't believed what just happen.  On the first guess/try I got it right.

1 - black

2 - dont remember what color

3 - dont remember what color

4 - twisted 

5 - twisted

6 - dont remember what color

I guessed - Black - of course gotta be black.

After cutting the cable, I noticed 2 wires(4 and 5) were wrapped/twisted together - that's gotta be D+ and D-

So next, if that is D+-, which one would be 5+v? I chose #6.  The 2 and 3 gotta be L and R mic with sharing Ground with USB webcam. 

Plugged it in and instantly recognized as HP WEbcam without additional driver and worked.  This was actually easier than the DV9000 webcam which I couldn't get it to work with ext USB.

There you go people if you are in the same boat as I am.  That is trying to use internal webcam as external.

Here's picturedv4_cam.jpg

Hello, i have a DV6 1355DX webcam and almost similar to the DV5 and was wondering if you could help me out on the pin out. the colors from 1-6 are Black, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red. The twisted ones are orange and red. i plan on mounting the camera on my older Dell Inspiron 9400 since the Dv6 broke. Is there a way to install the mic as well? Thank you hope to hear from you soon.

HP Recommended

SirPanda, I have the same color sequence for my DV5 camera.  Here is what I could figure out:

Black: ground (common)

Blue & Green: Microphone (don't know exactly the left/right channel assignment)

Yellow: +5V

Orange: (+)Data

Red: (-)Data

The camera can be soldered according to each wire's function to a spliced USB cable as follows:

Pin 1 +5V (Red)

Pin 2 -Data (White)

Pin 3 +Data (Green)

Pin 4 GND (Black)

The mic wires can be soldered along with the ground connection to an audio cable fitted with a standard 3.5 mm stereo jack, and then plugged into the Line In or External Mic connectors.   I have not tried this though but should work in theory.

Al2 

HP Recommended
Cool ill try it out and see if it works. Thnx Al2
HP Recommended

I'm here to post that i connected my HP G60 Series webcam to my computer via usb

The HP G60 Series Webcam pinout:

Pin 1 (green light) is +5v

Pin 2 have no wire in it

Pin 3 (green darken) is ground

Pin 4 (brown) is D-

Pin 5 (black) is D+

I know that this thread isn't for the G60... but i wanted to post my result in somewhere to other peoples search for it

HP Recommended

I came across this post after searching for the pinout to a G62 Laptop Webcam, manufactured by Suyin. So I thought I'd come back and post my findings. A detailed system schematic for the G62 can be found here.

G62 Webcam Pinout is as follows....

Pin 1) Color = Red,                      USBP2+

Pin 2) Color = Orange,                USBP2-

Pin 3) Color = Yellow,                  +3.9V Camera

Pin 4) Color = Green                   GND

Pin 5) Color = Blue                      GND

The colors mentioned above are in refference to our systems factory harness, yours may vary. Model G62-340US

The following is from the the G62 System Diagram.....  

G62-Webcam-Detailed.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.