Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Student
Message 1 of 2 (3,647 Views)

DV6000 fan problems.

Hey,

I bought a DV6000 Pavilion about 1 and a half years ago and after the two months when we bought it, it started to heat up too quickly, a family friend suggested a fan pad so we bought and went through 4 of them, every month the computers fan would get worse and worse and we've had to survive on fan pads for the last year. Now it is getting a bit too much and fan pads arent even working. The computer heats up and makes too much noise when doing the following things:

-Scanning for security threats

-Watching NON HD YouTube videos. (I've had to pause the video half way to sleep the computer and continue)

-Leaving it on desktop for a long period of time

-Just using it for every day things for over an hour.

My battery plan is balanced, and for the computer to heat up less, I have to use power saver, which lets me not watch YouTube videos at all, and the computer would go slow, even now when I am typing, the letters are delayed as I press them. I won't even think about putting the laptop on high performance.

I was wondering if any of you's know the problem, and if it is the fan pad? Or if it just old age (which I doubt, as it has only been 1 and a half years). I'm out of warranty, I only had 1 year. Do I have to replace the fan? or maybe even get the computer cleaned out for dust or something?

Thanks guys,

Top Student
Message 2 of 2 (3,471 Views)

Re: DV6000 fan problems.

I think you’re issue is that the BIOS does not run the fan at speeds that will provide adequate cooling. Over time this causes the solder under the Nvidia chip to crack causing the temperatures to rise even more and eventually de-soldering from the BGA. I found a elegant fix to this issue be patching the ACPI code that controls the fan. Now the fan speed increases like it should and keeps the temperature under 60C. You can read How I Fixed My HP DV9000 Computer for more information.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation