Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6636nr
Microsoft Windows Vista

I'm working on a friend's dv6636nr and the BIOS doesn't recognize DVD drive. DVD drive powers up, spins & ejects. Have tried several bootable disks, replaced the GSA-T20L DVD drive & flashed all 15 BIOS versions from F.06 to F.34. DVD drive still isn't recognized. The laptop's HD, SD card, USB flash drive & USB external drive are all recognized both in the BIOS and Vista. I'm assuming it is a motherboard issue. Possibly a faulty connection on the Southbridge.

It currently has a 449903-001 MB, AMD TL-58 & 4GB RAM. Can a 449902-001 MB from a dv6640 (or other similar model) be used as a replacement? It appears that the only external physical difference is that the 449902 MB has an additional HDMI port and the base enclosure of the dv6636nr has a knockout cover where the HDMI port is located. All the screw locations on both MBs seem to be the same.

I understand that some additional items will be needed for the MB swap (i.e. 449960-001 HS fan, upgraded WLAN card, bluetooth module, etc.), but since all of it could be purchased for under $100, it seems like a worthwhile upgrade for someone who can't afford a new or used laptop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi,

Yes you're all good to go.

Manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295877

Hope you've also thought about reinstalling OS after replacement. Mother board change will render OEM licence for Windows Vista Home Premium that came with laptop unusable.

Regards

Visruth

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
Hi,

Yes you're all good to go.

Manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295877

Hope you've also thought about reinstalling OS after replacement. Mother board change will render OEM licence for Windows Vista Home Premium that came with laptop unusable.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick & informative reply.

Hope you've also thought about reinstalling OS after replacement.

Have backed up all his personal data on a external drive and plan on a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional. I realize Win 7 isn't supported on the dv6636/6640, but I have already downloaded the majority of drivers for the 449903 MB per CherylG's "General Windows 7 Upgrade..." posts. Needless to say, I'll need to acquire the appropriate drivers applicable to the 449902 MB for the WiFi, bluetooth, nVida chipset/video, etc. before I do the swap.

Is there any advantage in installing the x64 OS over the x32 with only 4GB RAM & AMD TL-58?

Considered upgrading to a TL-66 for about $30, but for daily use, I'm not so sure it'd give much of a noticeable benefit. Opinion?

HP Recommended

Not much 32bit would be enough in my opinion.

$30 is bit in higher side. Not much improvement in performance compared to cost.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.