Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Presario F750US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Up to Windows 10 Pro, now I can't detect dvd drive on this laptop.  I tried to make some changes in the registry but no luck.  Can't find in Device Manager or on my PC.  Need help please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @jcollis217,

You're welcome. I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the same issue. After having a look found that the factory shipped OS was Windows Vista. The only other option would be to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. Please fill out an online form on www.hp.com/contacthp to reach phone support. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number. 

If the recovery media is not available, I would suggest you go ahead and install a retail version of windows.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards, 

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @jcollis217,

Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,

I'd like to help 🙂

As I understand you are having issues with the DVD drive not detected in the device manager on your Compaq notebook. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you with this.

Let's try the steps here:

If you have upgraded your computer to Windows 10 or to Windows 8 and the drive was working before, but is no longer working correctly, you can save time by starting with Clearing the upper and lower registry filters to remove the upper and lower control filters from the registry.

Next step is to check if the drive is detected in the Bios: If a window does not open when discs are inserted into the drive and the drive does not appear in File Explorer, it might be a problem with the BIOS. The BIOS in your computer manages all communication between the hardware components and the operating system. If the operating system does not recognize the CD/DVD drive, check the BIOS and see if it is recognized there. To access the BIOS, first shut down the computer using the following steps:

1. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn your computer completely off.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly until the BIOS Setup Utility screen appears.

3. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration screen.

4. Select Boot Options, then press Enter.

5. On the Boot Options sub-screen, select Boot Order, then press Enter.

6. In the Boot Order list, look for a CD/DVD drive entry. Depending on your notebook model and specific CD/DVD drive, the entry name indicates the exact type of disc drive you have (for example, it may read Internal CD/DVD-ROM Drive).

7. Press Esc, then press Enter to Exit BIOS.

For more details, please follow this link.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards, 

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I thank you forvery much.  I tried everything on the link and still could'nt find the dvd drive.  I was running Windows 10 PRO.  I don't have a recovery disk, I guess I will just be without my dvd drive.  Again, thanks for the reply.

Spoiler

HP Recommended

Hi @jcollis217,

You're welcome. I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the same issue. After having a look found that the factory shipped OS was Windows Vista. The only other option would be to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. Please fill out an online form on www.hp.com/contacthp to reach phone support. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number. 

If the recovery media is not available, I would suggest you go ahead and install a retail version of windows.

Regards, 

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.