Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Can I delete the HP_Tools partition and then convert it to free space, or is it required for my computer to work properly? I ordered a set of recovery disks so that I can restore back to factory defaults should I have to. I am planning on deleting both the HP_Tools and HP_Recovery partitions so that I can have more free room on my drive.

This might be an obvious question, but do I have to convert the FAT32 to NTFS in order to use it for free space? I noticed that the Tools partition is in FAT32 format...

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

1. it is not very big, probably not worth doing it. (mine is 103MB)

2. It contains Hardware diagnostics, which is important when diagnosing a problem especially when it is under warranty.

HP Recommended

here is the step to remove

Removing the HP Recovery Partition

but I would wait till you have the media

While I work on behalf of HP I'm not speaking for HP but trying to provide best effort support.
HP Recommended

OK. I am in the same dilemma...

Windows does not allow more than 4 primary partitions...

But for some of us we need to create more partitions to keep our datas separate from c:

I know the importance of Recovery/Hp_tools whatevr, but  is there a way HP can club all these in one partition so that it does not restrict users from creating partitions?

By default on my Hp laptop I have : system | c|recovery | hp_tools partitons. Its already four partitions.

We have no choice but to remove recovery or hp_tools to create partitions to install another OS or just to have a separate partitons... this is lame.

HP Recommended

that seems not a good idea, the HP tools contain some useful data, such as recovery data and others, and it's also not so big, if you delete it, it may not much help, if you really want to resize your HD, why not use the built-in disk management (only windows 7/vista/2008 has the resize fuction) or other third-party software, such as Partition Assistant, disc director, and GPard, I think this atrticle about "how to resize partition" may give you some suggestion.

HP Recommended
so what you did ? you deleted the tools partition or what? I have the same issue, there are 2 ways, siply delete tools partition, shrink C and create another partition as backup partition for your data. 2nd option is to shrink C and expand the tools partition, you may also use toold partition to backup your data....
HP Recommended

FYI, the HP_TOOLS partion contains the BIOS... do NOT delete this unless you arew CERTAIN you have a backup bios on a flash drive that you know will run, there is a special procedure to booting from bios via a flash drive, if i were you, it;s not worth the hassle.

There is however a thread stickied up the top here outlining how to create one 'extra' partion, by shifting things aroind and whatnot - http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/How-to-repartition-HDD-of-HP-notebook-with-...

HP Recommended

Perfect Solution to Problem:

Precautions:

1.Create your recovery DVD's from recovery partition before proceding, or order them from hp so as in case of any error or in worst case system can be set to factory restore.

2.BACK UP YOUR DATA.

3.FOLLOW ON YOUR OWN RISK , NO RESPONSIBILTY FOR DATA LOSS , SYSTEM CRASH, OR LOSS OF RECOVERY PARTITION.

4.Hopefully you have read this , if any consequences arises take it on your part , nothing to do with it, you can leave the rest of reding part if not ready,

THANKS FOR READING........

OOP'S you are here,,,,,,,,,then lets continue at your risk..........

Statement:

You are using this guide at your own risk. I don't take any responsibility for any problems.

Important informations !

Before you will do anything please create a set of recovery discs and back up all important data.

Both these steps will save you a lot of troubles if something will go wrong.

Resource:

From experience

Remember that if you will decide to use the recovery discs or the F11 option to restore the PC to its originalcondition, all partitions which were created by you will be lost and all the data which were stored on them willalso be lost.

Introduction:

Below screenshot shows pre-configured partitions on HP notebook with pre-loaded Windows 7.

disk.png

As you see mounted HDD has four primary partitions:

• C - partiton with the operating system.
  • HP_TOOLS - partition which allow to use diagnostic tools after pressing F2 on startup.
  • RECOVERY - partiton which allows to recover system by pressing F11 on startup.
  • SYSTEM - active partition which boots the operating system.

Here begins our problem. A standard partition table is only able to store information about four partitions.

This means that a hard disk could have a maximum of four partitions. The four standard partitions are oftencalled the primary partitions.

To deal with this limitation we may:

----> Delete hp tools partiton , and create new logical partion, BUT RECOVERY MEDIA SET HAVE BEENCREATED BEFORE......

PROCESS:

Note:

Please perform each operation individually.
Using several operations at one time may end with fatal error.

1.Hope you have your recovery media , recovery media dvd set and DRIVER DVD,if not then please get it first for safety..

2. Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition.

3.Please back all of your data on HARDDISK before proceding.......

4.Go to START> COMPUTER > RIGHT CLICK ON IT > MANAGE

5.A window opens, select disk management from it , given on left hand side....

6.It will display your harddisk partitions as displayed in image.....carefully locate HP_TOOLS Partition in given table.....

7.Right click on HP_TOOLS Partition and Delete it.........it will prompt for response say yes.........

8.Now must have left with 3 partitons.........HP_TOOLS have been deleted...

9.Now action time...........

10.Start Minitool Partition wizard.......it will diaplay your partitons.........select C: partition......right click on it .....select option move/resize...

11.New dialog box appears displays currents stats use the drag corners on top to reduce size for C: drive ......set the new size according to use..........But new size must not be less than 150 gb to avoid any data loss.....

12.leave rest of options intact.........click ok...........this will return you to minitool partiton wizrd home screen........click on apply at leftmost top corner..........it asks for permission say yes........then it displays that drive is in use you need to restart............

13.Click on Restart Computer........

14.Your Computer will restart in Mini tool partition boot mode dont press any key...........after loading it will start processing and shrinking............then copying data...........it will restart automatically after progress is done 100%..........be patient.........it takes upto 5-10 mins......

15.If every thing goes fine your computer will start normally.........then go to START> COMPUTER > RIGHT CLICK ON IT > MANAGE

16. New window opens, select disk management from it , given on left hand side....now you can see your C: partition has been reduced in size according to your size specified...........and unallocated space have been created along by C: partion.

17. Finally right click on unallocated space and select NEW SIMPLE VOLUME......a dialog box appers specify size to create a new logical partition...........you may create any number of logical drives till there is free space left...........

18.Now open My Computer ...........you can see your new custom partitions have been created........

19. Done.........enjoy.......

SUPPLEMENTARY:-

1. You can create any image creation tool......to create image of your C: Partiton and save image in yourcustom created partitons.......

2. In future if you want to recover system,,,,,you may use your created image using imaging software forrestoring your C: partiton......may be helpfull instead of running recovery.........

Drawbacks:

Running Recovery form DVD or recovery partiton may delete your custom created partitons...........all datamay be lost.....so regularly backup your data.....

RESOURCES:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/How-to-repartition-HDD-of-HP-notebook-with-...

FROM EXPERIENCE

ADVICE:

USE IMAGE CREATION SOFT FOR CREATING SYSEM IMAGES AND RESTORE SYSTEM FROMTHEM.........WILL HELP SAVING YOUR CUSTOM PARTITONS...........

WARNING:

ALL INFO IS FROM BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE,,,,,,,,,,BUT TAKE NO RESPONSIBILTY FOR DATALOSS,,

SYSTEM CRASH,, OR VIOLATION OF WARRANTY...........

After you delete HP_TOOLS partition, BEWARE about one thing: do you have something called HP support assistant in your laptop? if yes, beware when it wants to upgrade HP software, because it will make HP_TOOLS partition reappear without your permission!!

(u may ask for any further any queries,,,,,wll b hppy to help)

Your Support:

ACCEPT IT AS SOLUTION,,,REFER TO OTHER,,, AND CLICK ON KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS,,,,,,,,,(SRY FOR BAD ENGLISH)

,,,,,,,Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!,,,,,,,,

////////Clicking Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue helps others who are searching///////
HP Recommended

Advise:

Perhaps you the user should look into increasing the size of your hard drive.  I personally was thinking the same thing until I did a little research and finally just made the decision to cloning my drive to a new hard drive of larger size and it fixed my problem.

2TB notebook hard drive will run you roughly $179.99 on newegg.com

I've been pleased with the outcome and not complaining about size at all. 

HP Recommended

@n-maverick Pointed out correctly...

I had to face a lot of problem while trying to install Ubuntu alongside windows.

HP ..wake up!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.