Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

That wroks great but after I log out or restart the icon is gone and tap to click is back on. I have to go into the Syntapics control panel and enbale the icon and disable the tapping over again.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  If I disable tap-to-click, using the Symantec control panel, it is re-enabled when I restart the computer.  This is with Windows 10.  I suspect that there is a boot-time profile that sets the touchpad to factory defaults, but I can't find it. 

HP Recommended

I too have a new (I think, my company gave it to me) HP Probook, running windows 8, with this same problem. I do not see the Synaptics icon anywhere, have looked. This is really frustrating. Please help, someone!

HP Recommended

Further on this topic, I downloaded the Synaptics driver for my OS, and my HP Probook will not let me install it.

HP Recommended

Good news!  I was able to download and install the Synaptics 19.0.19.1 driver from their web site, and it has fixed the problem on my HP notebook with Win10. 

One change I noticed was that the control panel originally (with the v12 driver) had an icon for Synaptics and another for Mouse, but now with the v19 driver has only one icon - Mouse.  And the setting dialog is very different.

Anyhow, now the tap-to-click is permanently disabled and doesn't re-enable between boots.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, but I am still running Windows 8.

@tpobrienjr wrote:

Good news!  I was able to download and install the Synaptics 19.0.19.1 driver from their web site, and it has fixed the problem on my HP notebook with Win10. 

One change I noticed was that the control panel originally (with the v12 driver) had an icon for Synaptics and another for Mouse, but now with the v19 driver has only one icon - Mouse.  And the setting dialog is very different.

Anyhow, now the tap-to-click is permanently disabled and doesn't re-enable between boots.

HP Recommended

I don't have this icon and I can't work out how to turn of tap click on the touchpad and it really annoys the hell out of me.  I can hardly get any work done because my cursor keeps jumping around when I don't want it to.   

I can't imagine what HP were thinking this makes the computer very hard to use.  It's like they never tested any of their laptops otherwise they would realise what a stupid feature this is. 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  I've tried to download the Synaptics drivers but none has the tap functionality showing.  Ithen found that my Elitebook 1040 G3 appears to use ALPS touchpad, but installing this driver manually from SP75766 results in the message "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device".  If the folder contains a driverm make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems"  Does the Elitebook not recognize its own supported touchpad?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.