Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am using HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-w0XX notebook.

Could you recomment best docking station for my notebook for personal use.

if possible different model (based on features) compatiable with my notebook.

Thanks

Anzer1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is no docking station as such. A true docking station is a snap down unit that has ports on it and also powers the laptop. You have to use a "port replicator" which will provide additional ports but will not power the laptop. So when you connect the laptop to it there are 2 things to connect, unlike a true dock where you just snap it on and everything just works. 

Fortunately you have 3 Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C ports which are the newest thing and provide the fastest interface. 

Theoretically you can chage the notebook through them, too. Mixed reviews on how that works but here is the dock you would want. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P5Q54AA-ABB-HP-ELITE-65W-THUNDERBOLT-3-DOCK-/122378687112?hash=item1c7e56928...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

There is no docking station as such. A true docking station is a snap down unit that has ports on it and also powers the laptop. You have to use a "port replicator" which will provide additional ports but will not power the laptop. So when you connect the laptop to it there are 2 things to connect, unlike a true dock where you just snap it on and everything just works. 

Fortunately you have 3 Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C ports which are the newest thing and provide the fastest interface. 

Theoretically you can chage the notebook through them, too. Mixed reviews on how that works but here is the dock you would want. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P5Q54AA-ABB-HP-ELITE-65W-THUNDERBOLT-3-DOCK-/122378687112?hash=item1c7e56928...

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please select from the following devices

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/docking-stations-142510--1

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Where can I find more detailed tech specs for the latest HP USB-C docking stations? I would like to know, for example, will it charge an HP Spectre x360 15-inch, while driving two external 4k monitors at 60 Hz.

HP Recommended

Charging is a real bugaboo on HP notebooks right now. HP has tweaked the USB-C so that it is not a charging port for 3rd party devices so USB-C port replicators, even those that have a built in charging cable, will not charge the laptop. Stay tuned as that is generating some blowback and might be fixable by a BIOS update. 

Thunderbolt (other name for USB-C) otherwise is definitely the "shiznit". It provides external connection pretty much directly to the processor bus so that external devices get max bandwidth. Theoretically a USB-C port can drive more than 2 x 4K monitors at 60 hz. 2 will be a piece of cake. I have done it from my Spectre 13-v which has very similar hardware to the x360. 

HP Recommended

So I'll probably have to connect the charger that comes with 15-inch, Spectre x360 to one USB-C port (the non-Thunderbolt 3 one, I would guess) and a port replicator to the Thunderbolt 3 port, which could then be connected to one or two 4k monitors and maybe an external hard drive. Does this seem to be my best option at the moment? And if so, which port replicator (a.k.a docking station) would HP recommend?

PS - Thanks for your earlier reply. 

PPS - I'm not sure why it is so hard to get this info from HP directly. They really should publish an "app note", like the HP of old, on this topic. 

Chris 

HP Recommended

First understand I am not officially "HP". I am a fellow end user who volunteers time here. HP would not recommend a third party piece of hardware one way or another so your best bet is to get a name brand device from a reputable source. 

The one I linked above looks good. If you need other functions post back and I can see what is out there. 

HP Recommended

Thanks. And if I get (which I hope to) a Spectre x360 15, and a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 dock, I'll report back here to let everyone know how it works out.

HP Recommended

Have you tried the HP Tunderbolt dock with your Spectre x360-15?  I have the same question as I decided between buying a new Spectre x360-13 or -15.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi Jim.

No. Sorry. I've not yet bought my new laptop, so I can't give you feedback on the docking station. I can't decide between an HP Spectre x360 (13 or 15 inch model) and a new Surface Pro. If money were not a issue, I'd buy the HP 15-inch  and a new Surface Pro  (2017 edition) since they offer very different advantages. One has a larger display, which I think will be better for my middle-aged eyes. The other is more portable and has new pen capabilities, which I would like to try. Or I could buy the HP 13 inch model as a kind of compromise. 

Cheers,

Chris 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.