Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
AU116TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In HP 15 AU116TX manual it says it supports M2 SSD 2280. I saw many videos in internet and i couldnt find M2 Slot nor in any sites mentioning about this laptop. Does the laptop really have M2 Slot or the Manual is common for All pavillion Au series?

I bought samsung EVO 850 sata 3 internal SSD. i know this will support for sure but with limit of 6GB/s. but M2 SSD supports uptop 35GB/s.

so please help me out whether my lap supports M2 SSD or not.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05273198

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It only supports SATA M.2 drives but here is the catch. It's one or the other, either a 2.5 inch SATA SSD or hard drive OR an M.2 because there is one connector port and either type of drive has a specific caddy and cable to attach in the hard drive bay to that one cable. Not both. And, since either device uses a SATA header on the motherboard an M.2 SATA disk will not be significantly faster than a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. The numbers you are seeing are for an NVME aka PCI-e M.2 which yours does not support. 

See how the M.2 section of the Manual lists a "board" and "cable" for the M.2 mSSD card? And good luck trying to find those parts if your laptop did not come so equipped. Very scarce. Get a high quality (Samsung 850 Evo or Pro if money is no object) 2.5 inch SSD and you will be pleased with the performance. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

It only supports SATA M.2 drives but here is the catch. It's one or the other, either a 2.5 inch SATA SSD or hard drive OR an M.2 because there is one connector port and either type of drive has a specific caddy and cable to attach in the hard drive bay to that one cable. Not both. And, since either device uses a SATA header on the motherboard an M.2 SATA disk will not be significantly faster than a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. The numbers you are seeing are for an NVME aka PCI-e M.2 which yours does not support. 

See how the M.2 section of the Manual lists a "board" and "cable" for the M.2 mSSD card? And good luck trying to find those parts if your laptop did not come so equipped. Very scarce. Get a high quality (Samsung 850 Evo or Pro if money is no object) 2.5 inch SSD and you will be pleased with the performance. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Finally, Thanks a lot. I alreday purchased Samsung EVO 850 internal sata 3 SSD. Thought of cancelling the order and going with M2 Sata since manual says so. 

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Samsung-850-EVO-2-5-250-GB-Internal-SSD-Sata-III-drive-MZ-75E250BW-/251895573...?

Thaks HUffer for the explanation, ill keep what i bought 🙂

1 final question the optical drive is 9.5mm or 9 MM? since i plan to use old hdd in the optical drive port. Manual says its 9.0 mm but i couldnt believe manual anymore. Could you please suggest?

HP Recommended

I have never heard of a 9mm...just 9.5 but the way to know is to pull the existing optical drive, look at the label and google it specs including thickness. 

The optical bay hard drive adapters are really only offered in 9.5 and 12.7mm that I have seen. 

https://www.jacobsparts.com/items/HDDBAY-02/

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Its 9MM . GUE1N is the model this laptop is built with. Just google it!!

HP Recommended

Found a picture of it and it does not look any skinnier than ones labeled as 9.5 mm. I suspect a 9.5 mm optical drive bay hard drive caddy will still work but never tried it. 

HP Recommended

Pls see below and let me know.

IMG_20161022_190935.jpg

HP Recommended

Dimensions of a 9.5 mm optical drive bay:

Product Dimensions

7.3 x 6 x 0.9 inches

That looks like .9 inches to me but half a millimeter is really too little to eyeball the difference. 

HP Recommended

I bought 9.5mm universal caddy and i squeezed it to fit it. it fits but u'll endup with scratches both in caddy and in laptop optical drive section.  so verdict is it doesnt fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i should buy 9mm caddy and return the old one 🙂

9.55 caddy url :

http://www.amazon.in/Storite-Drive-Caddy-Laptop-Macbook/dp/B00HD7QQQA?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=oh_...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.