Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x2 12
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi.

I find x2 has 2.0 * 4 pcie ssd part in the specsheet.

Does it mean that it supports nvme ssd like sm951 m.2 2280 ssd?

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP has not yet provided information on the consumer side notebook compatibility for M.2 NVMe 2260\2280 SSD disks.

We have been discussing the need for this kind of information with HP but it has not yet been given to us. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

HP has not yet provided information on the consumer side notebook compatibility for M.2 NVMe 2260\2280 SSD disks.

We have been discussing the need for this kind of information with HP but it has not yet been given to us. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

For what it's worth, I tried installing a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe (256GB) in my new Spectre X2 12T just the other day and it would not get recognized by the system, meaning that when I tried cloning the factory installed M.2 SSD, the system Spectre X2 showed nothing to clone it to.

I had no issues when installing a larger Crucial MX200 500GB M.2 SSD (non-PCI-E) but that was expected since the factory storage device was a 128GB Sandisk M.2 SSD (SATA, not PCI-E).

HP Recommended

Hello, if you don't mind me asking how did you take your spectre apart? I can't find any "how to" videos online. I'm assuming I need the suction cup to pull the screen off but I am not sure. Thanks in advance for any help!

HP Recommended

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04850251 You can find how to disassemble spectre in that manual. You don't need the suction cup or any special instrument other than plastic clip and drivers.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I appreciate that! Enjoy your week!

HP Recommended

One of the 'Tutors' said that a suction cup is not needed to open up this device, and it is true since you can definitely pry it open.

However, having taken apart a few of these (as well as the business orinted Elite X2 1012) I'm inclined to say that it does help because you have to excert force to separate the glass screen from the rest of the chassis and as you keep [pry against the bnack of the scsreen you'll notice that the screen/glass has quite a bit of flex . It is somewhat unnerving because you don't know how much force you can excert before cracking the screen.

There are inexpensive alternatives to the pro stuff in the HP Service Manual, like the one below from Home Depot for about $3, and considering that this HP 2-in-1 carries a somewhat hefty price tag, I consider $3 a worthy investment.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-5-lb-Clear-Plastic-Suction-Cup-Hooks-3-Pack-54404/202341596

HP Recommended
Thanks I actually have one of those in my screwdriver kit.. I do wish this would recognize the nvme drive as I have an extra laying around.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Spectre X2 a008nr - just a week ago it would not boot anymore and diagnostics indicated a possible failure of the SSD. I saw a deal on the WD Black M.2 NVME 256GB ssd so I took the chance and purchased it.

Made a USB bootable disk with windows 10 media creation tool from another computer. Replaced SSD, connected the USB and pressed the power button, before i could say "Jack", I had been presented with the windows installation page. Went through the set up and voila there was the drive - ready to take the OS. I installed the OS and in no time, my pc was up and running again... and noticeably faster that before. Been 3 days and no issues so far.

So if you ask me, I'll say yes the Spectre X2 supports NVME SSDs. Hope this helps someone.

Good luck

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.