Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp envy x360 15-u111dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I opened up my first hp envy x360 15-u111dx last week. After a day of use I realized that the laptop was making decently loud "ticking" noise. It does not sound entirely mechanical, more like a cable modem type noise except more low pitch. It is coming from the right side of the base of the laptop near where the Hard Disk LED is. I returned it today in exchange for a brand new laptop of the same model. This one is making the noise as well. Either I am paranoid or this is a problem with many of the laptops. Non of the guys at geeksquad had ever heard this sound before. It is NOT the fan. It is closer to the sound of a hard drive failing except for it is not a pattern. It only happens during tasks and the heavier the workload the louder and more frequent the sound becomes. So this led me and the workers at best buy to believe it was a bad processor. This laptop is an i7 with 12 gb ram so I am very appreciative of this incredible machine but this sound is making me a little weary of this laptop. Is this a bad sound or does every i7 make noise? Do hard disks make this noise? All comments are appreciated unless you say it could be the fan, because it is not. The fan is on the other side of the laptop. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @schmittycity,

Thank you for your quick reply!

Based on what you said about the Geek Squad, I do not think that this is a normal sound for the unit.  The only moving parts of your laptop that may be causing that sound, is the Hard Disk, Fan, and Heat Sink.  Removing the cover to replace a Hard Disk or Memory, with HP parts, should not void the warranty, as long as there is no seen damage to the hardware or cover.  You may also consider checking to make sure that there are no loose screws.  

If the noise is indeed abnormal, then the best solution may be to return the device, or contact HP as previously posted.

I hope this helps!

Have a great weekend!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @schmittycity,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums!  A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand that you are having an issue with noises coming from your notebook, and wanted to help!

Have you tried testing the Hard Disk for failures, in order to eliminate it as a possibility?  Here are some documents to assist you with this, if needed:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 😎

HP Notebook PCs - Testing a Hard Disk from the BIOS

If it is determined that the Hard Disk is failing, you may consider returning the device to the place of purchase.  You can also try replacing the Hard Disk yourself, with help from the following: 

HP ENVY x360 Convertible PC - Maintenance and Service Guide (Chapter 5, Page 36).

If you are still having an issue with the product, and is unable to return it, you can also contact HP Phone Support for additional options.  Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please let me know if this information was helpful by clicking the "thumbs up" below.

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

I did all the various system diagnostics in the BIOS and could not find a single failure. It is a brand new device. All the GEEK squad members told me it was an abnormal sound. It is very loud and obtrusive and I would like to know if it is a mechanical problem or if is normal for this model of laptop. I checked the store model and it did not make this sound at all yet the first laptop I received and the second one I got both make this sound. Is there anything I can do to confirm the origin of the sound without voiding the warranty? LIke removing the back plate and iscolating the sound? Thanks for a quick and timely first response.

HP Recommended

Hello @schmittycity,

Thank you for your quick reply!

Based on what you said about the Geek Squad, I do not think that this is a normal sound for the unit.  The only moving parts of your laptop that may be causing that sound, is the Hard Disk, Fan, and Heat Sink.  Removing the cover to replace a Hard Disk or Memory, with HP parts, should not void the warranty, as long as there is no seen damage to the hardware or cover.  You may also consider checking to make sure that there are no loose screws.  

If the noise is indeed abnormal, then the best solution may be to return the device, or contact HP as previously posted.

I hope this helps!

Have a great weekend!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I just went through the same issue.  I bought a brand new HP Pavilion laptop on sale with the AMD10 processor, 8Gb ram, 1Tb hard drive. 

I bought it new and noticed the noise immediately.  I had just returned a new Dell that I wasn't wasn't happy with.  Not that there were many issues, but I didn't type well on it and it didn't hold a good internet connection.

So, I thought I had upgraded for an extra $20 and went from a Dell to an HP, an AMD8 to a 10 and 6Gb to 8. 

Well, as soon as I turn on the new HP I noticed a scratchy/crackle noise just like you described, in the lower right hand corner where the hard drive is located (I believe). The noise is consistent/ in sync with the "activity" indicator light.

So, I call tech support, and they run me through all kinds of online stuff, took control of the computer and ran a bios update, etc.  Great that they are there for you, but it didn't fix the problem.  They told me I would have to send in my 8hr old laptop and it would take ~5-7 business days to return it!

Huh? I said heck no, it's going back to the store. 

I get the brand new one today and the same noise. Slightly lighter, but it's still there.  I guess it just has a loud hard drive.  The new one also has a rattle on the left side if you tap lightly on the case. This is due to the cheap mfg process of the optical drive.

In the past mfg's used an all aluminum dimpled casing to help reduce resonant noise.  Now I see they are trying to get away with non-dimpled galvanized sheet metal.  This is very noisy.  HP might want to take note of these noise issues.  It's going to cost them more in unnecessary warranty repairs rather than spending the extra 1/10 of a cent to use a better piece of material.

In closing, I'm happy with the keyboard layout, the function, the internet connection (I haven't lost wifi yet) and the tech support.  I debate whether I should have just kept the Dell, but I'll get used to the noisy hard drive I guess. Hopefully it doesn't fail on me.

HP Recommended

Hi, I'm having the same issue with the same laptop. I bought it brand new and exchanged it but still no luck. Did you find a solution? 

HP Recommended

Hello @HPpavilionx360,

Thanks for reaching out!

I understand you are facing noisy operation on 2 Envy laptops that you purchased recently. I would suggest you go through the steps mentioned here: http://hp.care/2gh7kFu 

Make sure you update the BIOS as suggested and also follow the other steps mentioned.

Hope that helps. Let me know!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Hi,

Thank you for the message. Unfortunately updating the BIOS didn't change anything. The noise still remains.
HP Recommended

Hello @HPpavilionx360,

Appreciate your efforts.

I would suggest you contact HP Phone support for further assistance. You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Visit us again if you have any concerns! Thank you!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Yeah I called the number for this same
Issue that everyone is talking about and they want 99 dollars just to go through their steps and help. I cabt afford that. I've only had this lap top since aug 2016. Walmart won't take it back at this point, so what do I do now?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.