Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
CND6362SKY
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does this laptop support M.2 SSD ? If yes, is there any specific M.2 SSD I need to use with it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your Manual:

Manual

See p. 66. Yes you can use an M.2 mSSD but the problem is you can use one of those OR a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive or SSD. The laptop uses a caddy and cable to connect the drive (whichever type) to a single ribbon cable header. So if you want an M.2 disk: 1. It can only be the SATA type; and 2. It will replace not add to the existing hard drive; and 3. Will require that you buy a new caddy and cable kit; and 4. Will not be any faster than a 2.5 inch SATA SSD would be. You can replace the mechanical drive with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD without buying any other mounting hardware. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The identification you give does not correspond to any HP laptop. Please provide the model number otherwise we cannot answer the question. 

HP Recommended

This is the full name as it appears on the website:

HP Notebook - 15-ay168sa

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=13556545&jumpid=reg_r1002_uken_c-0...

HP Recommended

Your Manual:

Manual

See p. 66. Yes you can use an M.2 mSSD but the problem is you can use one of those OR a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive or SSD. The laptop uses a caddy and cable to connect the drive (whichever type) to a single ribbon cable header. So if you want an M.2 disk: 1. It can only be the SATA type; and 2. It will replace not add to the existing hard drive; and 3. Will require that you buy a new caddy and cable kit; and 4. Will not be any faster than a 2.5 inch SATA SSD would be. You can replace the mechanical drive with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD without buying any other mounting hardware. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer, I already have replaced the HDD with an SSD but I thought that I can add an M.2 SSD to the set because I mistakingly thought the optical drive port as an M.2. port.

Thanks again for your time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.