Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6 7013cl
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently upgraed my Pavilin dv6 laptop with additional RAM. It came with 6 gigs, but the 2gig module was damaged during the swap to SSD (don't ask; I have a curious 2-year old)

I thought why not upgrade? So I bought another 4gig module, and installed it in the slot that the previous 2gig chip lived in.

The BIOS now wil not see it, only reports as having 4gigs.

the Windows 7 sys info reports only 4 gigs.

Curiously, speccy program show that 8 gigs are installed, but only 3.47gigs of "total physical" memory.

So, in troubleshooting, I removed both modules, installed the "new" one in the slot the original 4 gig came out of.

System reads 4gigs.

Installed the original module in slot 2, still reads only 4 gigs.

I updated the BIOS to version F.25 with no difference.

How do I get the computer to acknowledge the additional 4gigs? Most BIOS I have experience with automatically update to the amount of RAM installed..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I believe it would accept a single 8 gig module? People ask me all the time "how much RAM do I need"? My answer is always "4 is barely enough, but is OK, 8 is great and the sweet spot, 16 is overkill unless you are doing serious content production type work with your computer."

Since this is a very instructive thread for people having memory problems, please mark "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

What RAM did you install?

This is the specified memory from the Service Manual:

4-GB memory module 641369-001

Memory modules (2, PC3, 12800, 1600-MHz)

This is 1.5 volt memory not 1.35 volt, which is more commonly sold. While 1.35 volt memory can run at 1.5 volt there is also the issue of density and latency, and voltages do not mix well. Please tell us about the original memory from factory (any identification on the module) and what you installed (any identification). The devil is in the details and memory upgrade is just not an easy thing any more. 

HP Recommended

>>> the 2gig module was damaged during the swap to SSD 

Hi,

The above statement may means the physical slot is damaged that why BIOS, Speccy and Windows can't see RAM on this  slot. Please put 2GB of RAM to other slot and boot the machine to see and confirm.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I agree. I had missed the fact that the original 2 gig is not working. 

HP Recommended

OK, to reiterate speccy DOES tell me that I have 8192MB installed, but only 3480MB available.

Would one not surmise from this that the slot is OK?

Windows 7 (64bit version), and BIOS only identify 4gigs.

Either chip will run in slot zero.

If this was oringally shipped with 6gigs, is that the max it will supprt?

HP Recommended

No 6 is not the maximum. It will never be a maximum amount based on mismatched modules so at least 8 is the maximum. Well, then let's go back to my question about compatibility but I am still troubled by the fact that the original 2 gig is not working. 

HP Recommended

Yes, it is possible the slot 1 socket is trashed; someone told me that RAM upgrade has to be done by "authorized" HP serevice.

HP Recommended

Not as long as it is done without damage but perhaps yours is the cautionary tale. What happened? 

HP Recommended

As ot the question of what happened, I am not 100% sure, other than someone stuck his fat fingers into the back of the thing when I had it opened to exchange the HDD for SSD.

I turn my back for 30 seconds to open the package, and BOOM, he's like a moth to flame.

I did a close visual inspection of the slot 1 socket, and I cannot see anything that looks bad, using a magnifying glass.

And, like I said, Speccy can "see" there's 8 gigs installed, but ony 4 available.

I just assumed the 2 gig chip was faulty, after being manhandled by aforementioned fat fingers, as it was the one in slot 1, which is on top, and more accessable.

HP Recommended

Yes it is conceivable the 2 gig module was damaged and the slot is still good and the 4 gig module you bought is not compatible. A lot of "ifs". But maybe we can get back to describing the original 4 gig and the new 4 gig module so we can gauge comatibility. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.