Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy TS15 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On startup keep getting message "can't find DowwnloadAD.exe"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No simplepass software shows up in my installed programs under the control panel. I see the folder in program files (x86) but there is no uninstall shortcut anywhere in that folder. I scanned the entire registry and can't find any references to DownloadAD.exe.

I tried downloading the service pack you linked. I figured I could try installing and uninstalling it, hoping it would create an appropriate uninstall link. It errors out saying it detects authentec fingerprint software on my computer already and won't complete the install, telling me I should uninstall the other (prior version? I have never put any other fingerprint software on this machine) version before it will proceed.

As mentioned, I see no means to uninstall the prior version. Stuck in a loop.

I then tried to delete the folder, it says the folder is in use. After looking through the file names in the folder and killing every process that matches an exe or a dll, I was able to delete the folder. Tried installing again, same error.

Btw, I then tried logging into this forum with my google account - it got stuck in a loop. I tried logging in with my facebook account, it got stuck in a loop. I detect a pattern here.

How in the @#$$@% do I get this #$^%$%^ annoying #@$%@% message to stop popping up on my @$#R%#@%$ screen?!!?!?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Frank48,

Welcome to HP Forums!

I have read your post and wanted to help.

I understand that you got  "can't find DowwnloadAD.exe" error on startup.

Please update the SimplePass software on your laptop. In order to better assist you, please post back the product number of your laptop. 

Looking forward to your reply!

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks

Product number is  E3B17PA#ABG

Frank

HP Recommended

Hi @Frank48,

Please uninstall the HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software in the Program and Features in the Control Panel. Restart your laptop. Check if you still have the "can't find DowwnloadAD.exe" error during startup. If the error message is gone, reinstall the HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software.

Download it from here: sp70794.exe

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution". If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

No simplepass software shows up in my installed programs under the control panel. I see the folder in program files (x86) but there is no uninstall shortcut anywhere in that folder. I scanned the entire registry and can't find any references to DownloadAD.exe.

I tried downloading the service pack you linked. I figured I could try installing and uninstalling it, hoping it would create an appropriate uninstall link. It errors out saying it detects authentec fingerprint software on my computer already and won't complete the install, telling me I should uninstall the other (prior version? I have never put any other fingerprint software on this machine) version before it will proceed.

As mentioned, I see no means to uninstall the prior version. Stuck in a loop.

I then tried to delete the folder, it says the folder is in use. After looking through the file names in the folder and killing every process that matches an exe or a dll, I was able to delete the folder. Tried installing again, same error.

Btw, I then tried logging into this forum with my google account - it got stuck in a loop. I tried logging in with my facebook account, it got stuck in a loop. I detect a pattern here.

How in the @#$$@% do I get this #$^%$%^ annoying #@$%@% message to stop popping up on my @$#R%#@%$ screen?!!?!?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.