Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Solution also validated for Windows XP SP3, on a HP ProBook4310s PC.

No driver required. Just delete one key from registry.

Thanks sijray21! 

Your specific steps did the trick. With one tiny difference: In step 4. I deleted "UpperFilters" and not "Upper Filter".

Symptom:

DVD/CD Drive suddenly stopped working...

In Win XP --> Device Manger --> DVD/CD-ROM Drives --> item hp CDDVDW TS-L633N has an exclamation mark ! problem identified.

Solution:

1) Backup windows registry before changing it.

2) Follow sijray21's solution (for Win7), dated 04-08-2012 07:46 AM.

Works like a charm  😉

Thanks to you all for your contributions!

Pat

HP Recommended

You mention new firmware (as opposed to a driver.) Is it possible to get new FW for this device? How do I do that?

HP Recommended
This describes my problem exactly. You are not alone.
HP Recommended
Me too. So many of us with the same problem. HP support personnel, are you paying attention? I've deleted upper/lower filters, still have the same problem, no change.
HP Recommended

Sijray21, your solution worked perfectly! I have one question out of curiosity: How do you know that 4D36E965 is for the optical drive? Is that some sort of standard registry assignment for drives on Windows PCs? Is there a list of all the other assignments?

Also, if the solution is so simple, why don't the tech support folks at HP know about it? Don't they read their own discussion boards? 🙂

Thanks!

HP Recommended
Actually I pieced together two different solutions from two sites I found. I just tried them both and noted what was different and posted my findings since I was successful.

Glad you found it helpful! It was an extremely annoying issue.
HP Recommended

you can use this registery program  Wise Registry Cleaner

HP Recommended

@Critter1919 wrote:

I need to find a different driver for the HP cddvdw Ts l633n drive that came in my laptop.  I'm running windows 7 64.  The driver that window provides does not work when trying to burn with nero10.  Does anyone know where I can find an HP driver?  Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@lolo2a20 wrote:

@Critter1919 wrote:

I need to find a different driver for the HP cddvdw Ts l633n drive that came in my laptop.  I'm running windows 7 64.  The driver that window provides does not work when trying to burn with nero10.  Does anyone know where I can find an HP driver?  Thanks for your help.

Hello!

Non-generic drivers are not usually provided for optical drives as these are simple devices which Windows can control.  However, if you provide your product number I will double check for you.  This document can show you where the product number is located.

Have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hp cddvdw TS l633n drive.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.