Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have an NW9440 laptop which has a Texas Instruments PCIxx12 flash media card reader (PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&CC_0180).

The drivers for this card were updated by HP or TI for Win XP 32 bit to support SDHC cards (SD cards over 4GB). Support for 64 bit operating systems was also added at some stage, unfortunately it would seem that the SDHC card support didn't make it into the 64 bit code, or if it did, the latest driver level (SP43509) doesn't work right on Windows 7 x64.

I opened a case for this, but HP have declined to look at the problem saying:

"there are no Windows 7 drivers tested or released for this unit. hp recommend only Windows XP, VISTA and 2000 OS for this unit and for these all the drivers are available."

As HP seem to have lost interest in support for this, please will you authorise Texas Instruments to release the driver sources to me so that I can fix them myself.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't want to be a killjoy but HP is not going to spend its resources on a driver for a machine of that age. Try this to extract the Sony driver:

http://win1337ist.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/how-to-extract-sony-exe-drivers/

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

We do not have that kind of power here. There is a Windows 7 64 bit driver for this controller floating around on the internet. Sony has posted one here:

http://esupport.sony.com/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNCR320E&upd_id=5647

This is for a Memorystick reader but I would think the .inf can be modified a bit to get it to install on your system.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the pointer.  I fear that I'd already tried that one, unfortunately it is an executable that checks for a Sony machine and refuses to play on an HP laptop.  I tried to unzip the executable but it didn't get me anywhere in terms of revealing a .inf or .sys file.

Who should I try to talk to in HP to get something done ?

Cheers

Dave

HP Recommended

I don't want to be a killjoy but HP is not going to spend its resources on a driver for a machine of that age. Try this to extract the Sony driver:

http://win1337ist.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/how-to-extract-sony-exe-drivers/

HP Recommended

Thank you sir!  I unpacked the Sony driver as you suggested, uninstalled and deleted the HP driver using Device Manager, and installed the Sony driver using DPInst64.exe.

This one works perfectly!!!   Quite why HP couldn't have made the updated drivers from TI available is beyond me - it's not as if it would have been a lot of work!

Thank you again.

HP Recommended

Hmmm,  I am now very confused.

As an experiment I uninstalled and deleted the Sony driver using Device Manager, and used Device Manager to re-install the SP43509 driver (manually browsing to the "C:\Swsetup\SP43509 TI PCIxx12 Drivers\Windows\tiinst\Vista64" folder).

Now the SP43509 driver works perfectly and recognises SDHC cards just as it did on XP 32 bit which it never did before.  

I can't understand why it refused to recognise SDHC cards previously and now they work, but either way I'm a lot happier than I was ...

So thanks again.

HP Recommended

I think when you installed the Sony driver it likely made a change in the registry which somehow allows the HP driver to work.

HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion dv5220us computer with the TI PCIxx12 Flashmedia controller.  I tried several software pakages and settled on SP43509 which results in the the following driver being installed for the subject controller:

Driver Provider:  Texas Instruments Inc

Driver Date:  12/14/2007

Driver Version:  2.0.0.9

Digital Signer:  Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

The computer in running the latest release of Windows 10 32 Bit, Build 10586

My remaining problem is that the SDHC card is not recognized after Windows Startup unless the Card is removed from the reader and reinserted or the driver is disabled and reenabled. 

This appears to be a common problem with this controller.  Some attemps at writing scripts to perform the "disable_enable" were found.

I would very much appreciate hearing from anyone who has found a solution which results in the SD Card being detected and displayed in File Explorer after Windows startup.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.