Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hp 8440p with i7 chip.. confirmed working with 2x 8GB kingston ram. total 16GB running windows 8.1

HP Recommended

Hi plutoe,

is it a Quad Core i7?

Which model of Kingston modules?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

CPU-Z reports the following things:

intel core i7 720QM

Clasrksfield, socket 989 rPGA

i7 Q720 @ 1.60Ghz

mainboard model 172B

chipset: intel, DMI host bridge rev:11

southbridge: intel, QM57 rev: 06

Memory type DDR3, channel # dual

size 16384 MB

the memory are 2x separate 8GB, not purchased as a kit with 16GB

the package read KVR16S11/8

PC3-12800 cl11 204 pin SODIMM

HP Recommended

Thanks plutoe,

I think the key might be the Quad Core, but my mainboard is an earlier revision:

mainboard model 172A

chipset: Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge... rev 02

southbridge: intel, QM57 rev: 05

intel Core i5 540M (Arrandale dual core)

HP Recommended

Hi All,

Come across this post as I'm also looking / searching for more info on how to upgrade my 8440p.

I plan to add more memory (16GB). But from the earlier post, it seems that the CPU may requires upgrade first.

Is it workable? 

HP Recommended

thought I'd share this with the HP community. I've not been able to get any sound from my HP 8440p for over a month now and was not able to pin point to anything until last night. There was no sound from the internal speakers or the 3.5mm headset jack and various attempts to reinstall the drivers, video, sound, HP quick launch utils, and reverting back to a backup ( that went back as far as the start of the year) could not solve this problem.

There are many threads on the web with people suffering a similar problem to mine and they all suggest driver as the culprit. It wasn't until last night when I moved my 16GB ram to another system and replaced the memory module with a pair of 2x 4G (max 8GB) that my sound returned mysteriously without having to do anything. I am now certain that my sound dissappeared because the system had 16GB ram installed.

HP Recommended

Hi cpu_f1xer,

Were you able to fix it? I have exacly the same problem.

Thanks

HP Recommended

nah.. i lost my sound again after a week or 2. using a usb sound card now. the HP builds are not that greate, especially many others on the web are experiencing similar problems

HP Recommended

@Honor Student...  do you have the 8440p or 8440w? 

I know on 8440p with i5 it can only take 8GB (2x 4GB) max with a 64bit windows OS, but is there a way to use 16GB with the i5?.. thanks.

HP Recommended

If you have a 32-bit Windows version, your computer can only recognize up to 4G of RAM.

If you have a 64-bit Windows version, your computer can recognize more RAM.

This might be the reason one computer can recognize 8G or 16G of RAM and the other one can't.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.