Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got a refurbished Elitebook 8460p on Thursday. I plugged it in and charged it to 100% with no problems,  everthing was fine.  Friday i noticed the laptop was not charging, the charge indicator light was out, though the charger was still plugged in and had been since the inital charge the day before. While checking everything I could think of I shut off the laptop then removed and replaced the battery; the charge indicator light came back on but the laptop would not power on. I removed and replaced the battery again; the indicator light went out but the Laptop powered on. I removed and replaced the battery a third time; the charge indicator light turned back on but again the laptop would not turn on. I left it like that over night.

Saturday morning I removed and replace the battery again, and again the charge indicator light went out but the laptop powered on. However, even though the charge indicator light was on all night, it was obvious the laptop had not been charging during that time.

As of Saturday I  can not get the charge indicator light to come on any longer. If the laptop is plugged in while the battery is removed, the charge indicator light blinks white but the laptop will not turn on. it would seem like the battery needs to be replace but because the laptop won't turn on without one I don't think that will solve the problem. What should I do?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

From where did you buy it? It could be the AC adapter but it could be something more serious. The battery might also be bad but I do not think so. The fact that it will not run on AC power with the battery out is the key diagnostic point. 

HP Recommended

TigerDirect.com, it was offically refurbished.

HP Recommended

I would contact the vendor and/or have the power supply tested. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.