Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 k046nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

Short version:

Does anyone know how to remove a single key from the keyboard without breaking it? (or if it's even possible) I've tried some things, but haven't succeeded.

Long version:

Unfortunately I've spilled some lemonade on my keyboard last week. I cleaned it all up quickly, and nothing is technically wrong. But after 2 days some of my keyboard keys started sticking very bad, especially the enter and shift key. They still work, but it's very annoying. I've tried lifting them and cleaning underneath, but that didn't work, and I also can't get them off. I've looked up a way to replace the keyboard, but that requires me to basically take the whole laptop apart + it's expensive. I hope someone can tell me how to get individual keys off without breaking them!

Thanks,

Leon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @leonsmits

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I read your post and wanted to reach out to help you! I read that you would like to remove keys from the keyboard because they are sticking and you would like to clean them. 

If a key is physically stuck in the down position, you might not have to replace your notebook PC. Many keyboards have keys that can be removed by inserting a butter knife under one edge of the key and gently prying up on the top and bottom edge. PLEASE NOTE: To avoid damaging the pad under the key, insert the butter knife only 1/8 inch under the edge of the key

After the key has been removed, using a swab with alcohol, clean the underside of the key and the key's slot in the keyboard. Replace the key by snapping it back into place.

Here is a document for you called Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting. There is a section in this document called Stuck Notebook Key. This section will help walk you through how to clean those keys. 

If the keyboard does not have keys that can be removed, you may have to replace the keyboard or service the Notebook.

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.

Thanks! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi there @leonsmits

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I read your post and wanted to reach out to help you! I read that you would like to remove keys from the keyboard because they are sticking and you would like to clean them. 

If a key is physically stuck in the down position, you might not have to replace your notebook PC. Many keyboards have keys that can be removed by inserting a butter knife under one edge of the key and gently prying up on the top and bottom edge. PLEASE NOTE: To avoid damaging the pad under the key, insert the butter knife only 1/8 inch under the edge of the key

After the key has been removed, using a swab with alcohol, clean the underside of the key and the key's slot in the keyboard. Replace the key by snapping it back into place.

Here is a document for you called Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting. There is a section in this document called Stuck Notebook Key. This section will help walk you through how to clean those keys. 

If the keyboard does not have keys that can be removed, you may have to replace the keyboard or service the Notebook.

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.

Thanks! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.