Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product name:HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC
Product number:E2G88EA#ACQ

BIOS:F.65-11/20/2014

Hi Guys, a it of help would be much appreciated..

My ENVY has two 1TB HDD's in it (came stock like that from when I bought it) and I've had the PC for a couple of years now and only filled the one HDD to around half way. I'm thinking of taking out one of the HDD's and replacing it with a 500GB SSD and running everything on that, I think it'll speed up the boot time and run my programmes much faster. Also I really don't need the space I've got in there now as I much prefer to store all my bulky data on organised external HDD's. So here are my questions...

1) How do I know which slot my current C drive is in? My one HDD is a C drive (Partioned into "THIS PC (C:)" and "RECOVERY (D:)") and everything is on there at the moment, the other is "DATA (E:)"  which is completely empty, I want to swap the full one out for an SSD. So how do I work out where its actually plugged in, top or botom?

2) Which SSD's would you recomend? How should I go about choosing one? How will I be sure its compatable before I purchase it?

3) Do you have any step by step's I can follow to help me along?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Welcome to HP support forum. Please use the follwing manual, it shows you how to work on HDD's (from page 48):

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03922401.pdf

1. C: and 😧 are on the primary HDD.

2. Basically any standard 2.5" SSD on market today can do the job. Please try Crucial or Samsung. I have not had any luck with others, they won't work or simply die just under 4 years (my two Sandisk SSD's died within 1 week).

3. I normally do the following steps

(a) Clone the existing old HDD to SSD. In your case you only need to clone C: and can use smaller SSD.

(b) Physical swap.

Note: You won't be able to use Factory settings because the new SSD is smaller (capacity) than the original HDD therefore 😧 would become useless.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

Welcome to HP support forum. Please use the follwing manual, it shows you how to work on HDD's (from page 48):

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03922401.pdf

1. C: and 😧 are on the primary HDD.

2. Basically any standard 2.5" SSD on market today can do the job. Please try Crucial or Samsung. I have not had any luck with others, they won't work or simply die just under 4 years (my two Sandisk SSD's died within 1 week).

3. I normally do the following steps

(a) Clone the existing old HDD to SSD. In your case you only need to clone C: and can use smaller SSD.

(b) Physical swap.

Note: You won't be able to use Factory settings because the new SSD is smaller (capacity) than the original HDD therefore 😧 would become useless.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.