Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
envy dv7 7xxxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I replace the original HDD with an SSD

1-  i start the PC with the SSD alone : the boot is ok and the PC work well with impressive celerity

2 - i place the initial HDD in the 2nd bay as it was : the PC boot on the initial HDD and i can see the SSD awaillable as 2nd HDD.

2 - i take out the initial HDD, format it and replace in the 2nd bay : the PC try to boot on the initial HDD and after a long time pass in repair mode.

My question is : what to do to use the new SSD as primary HDD (to boot the PC) and the initial HDD in the 2nd bay as second alternative to increase storage capacity ?

Thanks if you can reply.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Grégoire,

Here is a link to troubleshoot USB connections.

I would uninstall everything listed in the Universal serial bus controllers list.

Please note remove any and all USB devices, and remove memory cards from the card reader slot. Disconnect all non-essential devices before uninstalling Universal serial bus controllers.

Restart your computer and then insert the USB device

Please click the Thumbs up and Accept as Solution if you feel this post has helped you.

Thanks. 

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey @Grégoire,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome.

I have looked into your issue about your HP ENVY dv7 Notebook and a New Hard Drive issue. You could change the Boot order

It would be helpful to have the specs of the New Hard Drive as it should match or be larger than your original. Your original was a 1 TB SATA (5400 rpm).

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below! 

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for your reply

There was no choice in bios to use bay 1 or bay 2 for internal HDD boot order

Finally a whipe completely the original HDD, i take 16 hours to perform...

Now i have intalled the whiped original HDD in bay 2, it works OK and the PC boot on the new SSD

The only issue is that the USB port (+external bay) i used to whipe the original HDD is now inoperating.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi @Grégoire,

Here is a link to troubleshoot USB connections.

I would uninstall everything listed in the Universal serial bus controllers list.

Please note remove any and all USB devices, and remove memory cards from the card reader slot. Disconnect all non-essential devices before uninstalling Universal serial bus controllers.

Restart your computer and then insert the USB device

Please click the Thumbs up and Accept as Solution if you feel this post has helped you.

Thanks. 

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.