Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy m6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop constantly overheats after a solid 40 minute to an hour of gaming, Counter Strike Global Official in particular. During this time it tends to produce large amounts of heat on the left side which is where the fan is located. It also tends to overheat when i use word and internet explorer on days which are 30 to 40 degrees celcius. When the laptop overheats a message comes up reading

'Thermal shutdown occured

Your notebook PC was shutdown to avoid overheating.......

System temperature (90E)'

I have used methods such as cooling pads and my notebook is placed on a flat wooden table with nothing blocking the vents.

I purchased this notebook roughly 3 years ago and in the past year this problem has been occuring.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Jaysonic,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

Thank you for joining the HP Forum community.  It is a great resource for information, tips, and solutions that have helped others. Here is a link to First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More as a guide should you have any concerns or questions about the process.

I grasp that after about 40 - 60  minutes of gaming your notebook will shut down due to overheating. This is particularly true when playing Counter Strike Global Official.  It also happens when using Word or Internet Explorer.

You have used cooling pads and the notebook is on  a flat  wooden surface with nothing blocking the vents.

Over time dust and debris can accumulate inside your notebook, causing it to overheat.  Here are links that I believe will assist you to overcome this difficult:.  HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating,  HP PCs - Increasing System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer (Windows 10)HP Notebook PCs - Green Screen and Other Video Playback Issues (Windows 8, 7)

Please let me know the outcome.

When you have resolved your difficulty, would you choose "Accepted Solution" on that post to alert other members and visitors to your success and perhaps help them.

To show appreciation for my help. please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Jaysonic,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

Thank you for joining the HP Forum community.  It is a great resource for information, tips, and solutions that have helped others. Here is a link to First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More as a guide should you have any concerns or questions about the process.

I grasp that after about 40 - 60  minutes of gaming your notebook will shut down due to overheating. This is particularly true when playing Counter Strike Global Official.  It also happens when using Word or Internet Explorer.

You have used cooling pads and the notebook is on  a flat  wooden surface with nothing blocking the vents.

Over time dust and debris can accumulate inside your notebook, causing it to overheat.  Here are links that I believe will assist you to overcome this difficult:.  HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating,  HP PCs - Increasing System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer (Windows 10)HP Notebook PCs - Green Screen and Other Video Playback Issues (Windows 8, 7)

Please let me know the outcome.

When you have resolved your difficulty, would you choose "Accepted Solution" on that post to alert other members and visitors to your success and perhaps help them.

To show appreciation for my help. please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.