Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a Envy x360 model 15-w237cl. Very pleased with it's quality construction and thus far a solid performer. I wish to install an M.2 drive while keeping the HDD for storage, but information for this model is scarce. Similar models come equipped, i'm hoping to get confirmation that it can accept it and is capable before I open it up. 

Thank you for everything you do,

TS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@True_Story

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I had a check again, found another article which contains similar details as the motherboard has an M2 SATA port as one of the internal expansions:

Internal expansion (x2):

One 2280 M.2 daughter board - optional support for SSD

One half-size mini card slot - support for WLAN

The means that you don't have to use the space occupied by the current HDD, optional support is for an extra SSD connection to the M.2 SATA port.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@True_Story

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand you need information on Envy x360 15-w237cl M.2 upgrade compatibility,

I'm glad you checked before you opened it up and after some research, I discovered the below details:

Hard drive Support on your model:
Click here to view you user guide/service manual

(Support for M2 SATA-3 (NGFF), TLC and MLC: ● 256 GB Solid-state drive (SSD)

I hope this helps,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Riddle_Decipher,

The external component locations in the document you referred to looks different. Would I have to use the space currently occupied by the HD for the M.2?

I was hoping that the board was capable of accepting an M.2 along with the HD. Could you double check that we are looking at the correct doc?

Thank you again

HP Recommended

@True_Story

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I had a check again, found another article which contains similar details as the motherboard has an M2 SATA port as one of the internal expansions:

Internal expansion (x2):

One 2280 M.2 daughter board - optional support for SSD

One half-size mini card slot - support for WLAN

The means that you don't have to use the space occupied by the current HDD, optional support is for an extra SSD connection to the M.2 SATA port.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same laptop HP Envy 15-w237cl and want to add M.2 2280 SSD. User manual says 256GM ssd in the internal expansion slot. My question is can it upgraded to 500GB ssd.

Is Samsung 860 EVO 500GB Internal SSD - M.2 2280 - MZ-N6E500BW compatible with this laptop and be added in the internal slot.

Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

My Envy x360 15-w237cl has an M.2 slot right next to the 2.5 hard drive. I puchased an Crucial 1 TB Internal SSD - M.2 2280 - MX500 - SATA 6Gb/s and used the Acronis cloning software download.

It does not have a PCIe slot.

M.2 slot with Crucial drive next to original  WD  driveM.2 slot with Crucial drive next to original WD drive

Shut down the laptop, removed the pads and screws from the bottom and used a soft plastic edge to pry up the keyboard all the way around. I gently removed the ribbon cables, however I don't think it is necessary if you have another helper to hold the keyboard up. Inserted the drive into the slot, (see the orientation in the photo) and lowered the keyboard. the Laptop was in a secure location, wouldn't get touched so I did not re-attach the keyboard or screw in the drive (supplied screws were included with the drive) or button it up until the entire process was finished. 

The 1TB cloning process took about two hours, The next few steps added an additional 30 minutes or less after it cloned. Once the clone was finished I assigned a drive letter (disk management) to the new drive and re-booted into BIOS (F10) and changed the boot order to the new drive. The result was immediate! After a couple of re-boots I installed Crucial Storage Executive and activated Momentum Cache. I did not do a bench mark before so I don't know how much faster the laptop is now but it is like a brand new - different machine. For me this was very easy and straight forward. Hoping for many years of use.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.