09-22-2012 06:28 AM
Turned on my laptop last night and it said that the fan isn't working...computer still works but the message warned that this may cause unpredictable behaviour and system damage. Tried to use the help things on the computer and this website but couln't find anything.Anyone know if there is something I can do myself or do I need to take it into a shop?
It's a HP Pavilion G series, only about 6 months old.
09-22-2012 10:44 AM
Can you tell whether the fan actually stopped working or if it's just an warning message appearing?
If the fan does not work, I wouldn't recommend using the computer because it will begin to overheat and you could cause damage to system components.
If you want to troubleshoot, I would recommend an update to your system BIOS and a hard reset. You can download the BIOS from your product's support/driver page. To perform a hard reset, do the following:
- Shut down the computer by going to the Start menu and selecting shut down. (If you have no display, hold the power button down for 5 seconds); (if the computer doesn't power on, move to the next step)
- Disconnect the AC Adapter from the notebook.
- Remove the battery from the bottom of the notebook. There will be a switch/button to eject the battery.
- Wait at least 1 minute with all power sources disconnected.
- Re-insert the battery and reconnect the AC Adapter and then attempt to power on the notebook.