Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ENVY m6
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

The fan for cooling seems to be running all the time. About a month or so ago, it would run and then seem to shut down. It is annoying; but more than that, I want to make sure there isn't an issue wih the cooling/fan? I have had his lptop for about 4 years, and never had this issue before.

Thanks,

billfuss

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The cooling fan is probably running more noticeably because the insides of the laptop are getting filled with dust, which in turn causes the heat to builf up and thus the fan has to run at a higher speed to cool things down.  For a laptop of 4 years that would not be unusual.  Take it to a PC shop and have it cleaned out and checked, but that is the probable reason.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The cooling fan is probably running more noticeably because the insides of the laptop are getting filled with dust, which in turn causes the heat to builf up and thus the fan has to run at a higher speed to cool things down.  For a laptop of 4 years that would not be unusual.  Take it to a PC shop and have it cleaned out and checked, but that is the probable reason.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Agreed with @TheOldMan. At 4 years the bigger desktop replacements almost always need a good clean-out. If you can provide the full model number we can get you a manual and maybe a video showing how to do it yourself if you feel so inclined. A shop will charge $60-120 to do the service as it is a pretty complete teardown to get at the fan, but it is the only way to do it right. 

HP Recommended

Hi, I have an HP ENVY m6 Notebook it is 3 year old and it seem to overheat very fast and because of it my laptop shut off on a regular basis. someone said that they can forward a manual to open the laptop to get a good clean inside out. 

if anyone read this can you please forward me the manual to open my laptop so i can get to the FAN....

thank again

HP Recommended

HI there can you please forward me with the manual to open my Laptop so i can get to the fan and clean inside the laptop.

I have an HP ENVY m6 Notebook .

Thank Again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.