Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I bought a Pavilion dv6-7090el some days ago.

The fingerprint reader works, allowing me to log in on startup, but after that it keeps blinking. If I lock windows ([WIN] + L) and unlock with the fingerprint reader, it finally stops blinking.

The OS is win 7 64bit and the drivers of the biometric reader are up to date.

David.

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

I have an open ticket with HP Support (which was a royal pain to get it to escalate to someone who doesn't just close the ticket!) and an open ticket with AuthenTec (authors of HP SimplePass) and so far no one has provided a solution to this very annoying problem.

Speaking as a Software Engineer, I'm 99% certain this is a software defect, with a 1% chance it is a hardware problem.  Now, the hard part is getting someone to take resposibility.

I'm convinced AuthenTec could work around the problem, by reapplying the current settings on login, but getting them to do that will be the hard part.  Give them an email about the problem and don't let them play too many reinstall games with you.

Good luck!

--Stephen

HP Recommended

thanks!

HP Recommended

On 8/3/2012 4:06 AM, Authentec Support wrote:

Dear Stephen,

so let me recap:
- You have SimplePass 5.4.0.620 installed
- your driver version is 4.3.0.304 now

Can you please check it? Is that correct?

You are still not able to disable sensor illumination?

Best Regards,

Ondrej Ctvrtnicek
Technical Support Engineer
AuthenTec, Inc.

My response:

It is clear from your last email that you do not understand the problem, so let me try to explain with steps to reproduce:

1) Boot the system.
2) Note that the sensor illumination is blinking before and after login.  *BUG*: It continues to blink always for no good reason.
3) Launch HP Simple Pass
4) Go into settings and uncheck Sensor Illumination.
5) Note that the sensor no longer blinks.
6) Reboot.
7) *BUG*: The sensor illumination is blinking before and after login and continues to blink always for no good reason.
😎 Launch HP Simple Pass
9) Go into settings. *BUG*: The Sensor Illumination check box is unchecked AND the senor is blinking at the same time.
10) Click Save.  The sensor stops blinking until the next reboot.

There are 3 bugs/defects (as listed above):

1) The sensor blinks whether or not there is a reason to.
2) You do not remember/reapply Sensor Illumination settings after a reboot.
3) After reboot HP Simple Pass Settings do not reflect reality (check boxes say Sensor Illumination is off, but the sensor is blinking).

Screen capture with version numbers attached as you requested.

If you tell me to update the driver version two things will happen:

1) You'll need to point me to the driver download, as I already downloaded the latest from HP, so they aren't providing the driver you are listing.
2) I will ask you to provide release notes for the driver and tell me which fixes/enhancements you think will resolve the problem.

Sincerely,
    Stephen McCants

HP Recommended

I have found a way to stop the unusual blinking of led....you just have to delete a file namely "touchcontrol.exe" present in (install directory/HP Simple pass/).....hope this will do the job for you...mine is done..

I am using HP DV6 6165tx with win8 pro

HP Recommended

It doesn't work for me...

Thank you anyway.

HP Recommended

Then try to kill processes you think related to simple pass in the task manager--->processes...

I found the touchcontrol there only, as soon as I killed it,blinking stopped so I deleted the touch control..

Hope this will work...

HP Recommended

haha...he just got slammed! Thanks for the good laugh! 

HP Recommended

I am using an Envy with Windows 10. When I installed the drivers that were recommended by the HP Support assistand the constant blinking started. Before I installed the updated driver it was working fine

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  HP ENVY and Windows 10.  Fingerprint reader lets me open Windows, but it is so annoying that it constantly blinks after that.  Any idea how to stop it would be great.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.