Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey there

I was just about to install a Folio 1040 with our SW distribution tool. As it was booting already, I pushed the Power button for 10 seconds to shut it down.

Now, the small Power LED next to the power plug is blinking white and amber constantly and I cannot turn the Folio on again. I tried pushing the power button shortly, for longer (10-15 seconds), tried pushing the space bar...

Any magic key combination, so I can make it work again?

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi had exactly the same issue.

The computer came back to life after plugging in the power suply and pressing the power button + Esc.

This solution was found by trial and error. I could not find anything in the HP Folio 1040 documentation.

Cheers,

Carlos

HP Recommended

hi,

for me with same problem worked this comination:

- Plugged in power adapter

- pressed at the same time:  Power button + Physical Sound Mute Button.

cheers,

Mantas

HP Recommended

Thanks!!

The workarround provided by MantasG worked for me as well.

The issue  may had happened when I undocked the laptop. I may have been a little too fast and the computer was not properly shut down but I don't know for sure.

It took me some thinking to find out that the speaker button opper right corner.

HP Recommended

In my case I had to get the motherboard replaced.

HP Recommended

The way to do a hard reset on the Folio 1040 is as Mantas mentioned.

1. Press and hold the power and mute button for five (5) seconds.
  2. Press the power button again to power on the computer.
I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
HP Recommended

I have tried this hard reset with no luck.

My Elitebook 1040 motherboard and harddrive were replaced and need to do fresh Windows 7 installation. But computer won't start.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended
Try a power drain. It's a common hp procedure that revives many a dead hp laptop. Sounds bull but I personally have used this countless times to resolve non starters.

Take out all sources of power, battery, mains, network. Hold power button 30 seconds, a full 30. Plug back together and try again
HP Recommended

I have just got a Folio 1040 but managed to lose the power supply, I bought a Lavolta pa-eud16 charger that says it works with the Folio 1040 but when i plug it in both the power button and the caps lock button blink white and the small light next to the power scource flashes amber.  The computer won't switch on, any ideas?  I've tried the power and mute button trick but that just stops everything flashing for the time i hold it down.

HP Recommended

I'm getting the same issue but none of the workarounds described in this thread correct the problem. It seems to randomly power up after a few minutes (sometimes a few hours). This is very frustrating. HP - help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.