Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Plugging in to power and pressing power and physical audio mute button at the same time worked for me. Thanks!

HP Recommended

If you have an Elitebook 1040 you should be able to perform a hard reset on the unit.  

Make sure the system does not have anything attached to the unit.  If docked, undock the unit.

First, disconnected the AC power from the unit.

Second, press and hold the power button and mute botton for 15 seconds.  Make sure you press and hold both buttons for at least 15 seconds.

Third, plug you AC back into the unit and press the power button.

This will perform a hard reset on you system.  

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

Excellent, Thank You !

HP Recommended

Had a Elitebook 1040 that could not boot up. This solved it (power+mute together) Thanks

HP Recommended

Mantas.... You are an MVP

thanks

AGr

HP Recommended

My Power light and my Caps light is blinking non-stop.

I have tried each of the fixes here and nothing works.

I get the small amber light when the AC adapter is plugged in.

I have removed the battery overnight, I have pressed and held

the mute and power button, pressed and held the power and esc buttons,

pressed and held the windows key and the B and also the V as directed

in may of the "answers" I've read online.

I have taken the memory module out and made sure it was seated.

NOTHING has worked.  This laptop was VERY EXPENSIVE and it has

only been on maybe 10 times tops.....What's the fix?

HP Recommended

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! Your recommendation worked perfectly!  I was about to lose my mind as this is my work computer and EVERYTHING was on it!

HP Recommended

Thank you! This worked for me!!! I don't know what caused the problem...

HP Recommended

My 1040 G1 started exhibiting exactly the same problem from yesterday. I following power+mute procedure and didn't work. Here are exact syndromes

1) power button LED, backlight, wifi, and mute button LEDs blink at regular interval. Also the charging indicator. 

2) Removing adapter and pressing power+mute for over 15 seconds turns off the blinking. 

3) Reconnecting power and pressing power button and  all LEDs starts blinking again. It doesn't matter if power is reconnected or now, pressing power button on starts blinking. 

4) Important, if l leave laptop in the blinking state, it turns ON after a few tens of minutes or hours automatically. So laptop parts including CPU etc are working fine (writing this post from the same laptop),

5) Seems like laptop gets into some werid power state, or standby state - not sure what it is. 

6) If I restart the computer without shutdown, it restarts as expected

7) However, if I shutdown and start again, it is back to the blinking state. 

😎 As an additional informatiom, I downloaded batteryinfoview, it shows battery having 0 power cycles and full manufacturere capacity - which is strange as I have been using this laptop from last one year. Not sure, if batteryinfoview is working correctly or not with this model, can other owner confirm this please? 

Since this didn't work, I went ahead and removed battery, pressed power button for a few seconds, reconnected the battery, but didn't help (this proedure not required for 1040 G1 as commented by HP staf earlier but anyway did it). 

Pls help, this is quite an expensive laptop and my first HP laptop after moving from thinkpad. At this moment, I am quite disappointed and expecting a resolution.

HP Recommended

Thanks alot, had this problem at our work and nobody seemed to get it, this did it at once!

It seemed like it was a faulty charger, since our HP charger and the adapter/converter was working good enough.

Just wanted to say thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.