Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Is it possible to use the same caddy which I have now, remove the optical drive from it and add a hdd into the same caddy ?

HP Recommended
@johnygmalayil

You mean take off the black piece adapter from ODD and put it in optical bay HDD caddy?

Yes you should be able to do that, Huffer had explained that. Do a search in net for appropriate caddy for your model.
HP Recommended

You cannot use the same caddy for a hard drive. The SATA connector for an optical drive is smaller than the SATA connector for a hard drive. As I said that black connector piece across the back of your caddy has a plug on the back side that goes into the mini-SATA on the back of an optical drive. The other side has those weird connector things. It comes off if you remove the screws holding it on.

An optical to HDD adapter has a mini-SATA like an optical drive on the outside and then a bay on the inside that has a hard drive sized adapter. Like this. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997048&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KN...

Just take that black thing off the back of your optical drive caddy and place it across the back of this adapter linked above or one like it. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

That's what I exactly meant while replying. Glad that you clarified it.

The term caddy, adapter, ODD are little bit confused here though, for the readers. I think OP has understood the facts.
HP Recommended

First of all really like to thank you all. Excellent forum you have for HP support.

I got the issue fixed.

Thought of posting a image of the same. There is actually three screws which hold the plastic interface with the hooks. Remove it one by one. Then you can see some thing like the first image in the below picture. Its a circuit. There is no screws to it. But it is pasted on to the caddy with some glue. Gently pull it out. Whola  !!! The SATA adapter is inside it, as you can see in the second image posted below.

Let it be useful for future people searching for the same 🙂

Thanks to all for your support once again 🙂

Untitled.jpg

HP Recommended

Good snaps, thank you for sharing them and providing little more details into it 🙂

Regards

Visruth

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.