Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-P157SA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem that I'm having because so far curry's technical support have been no help to me whatsoever, and I'm to the point now where I'm going to have to ask for a refund if I can't fix it.

Since I've set up my HP 15-P157SA I've been having these random beeps that I can't figure out why I'm getting them. I've done many things that haven't worked, anyhow, here's the list of things I've tried so far:

1) I have gone to the hp diagnostic page (where you press f2 on start up) I ran a component test (suggested by technician) to see if there is any beeps during that time to work out whether it's a hardware issue. I did a quick test, there were no beeps. I then ran an extensive test for around an hour and a half and during that time the laptop did not beep. The technician said that this meant that it was unlikely to be a hardware problem causing the beeps, and more likely to be a software issue. 

2) I have unplugged my power cord to see if it was the power cord making the beeping sound, but alas still beeping.

3) The next thing I tried was to keep power cord plugged in but removed the battery, to see if it was a problem with the battery. Again this did not help and the laptop kept randomly beeping.

4) Another suggestion from the many technician's I've spoken to was to unplug my usb mouse and try with just the trackpad. I tried this and found that the laptop still beeped.

5) I've done a search on the internet and found that other people have had this problem but there seems to be no solution to the problem, one person had replaced their laptop 5 times and each laptop had the same issue, I think he replaced it with a different model in the end. I did find another HP brand with the same issue and the suggested fix was to run quietHDD. I thought great! A fix! But alas, that didn't work either, my laptop still randomly beeps at me.

6) I've tried muting my sound to see if the beeping were coming from my speakers, even with the sound muted the beeps still happened which suggested to me that it was not a system sound related issue.

There is one thing that I'd like to mention. I love this laptop and would like to avoid having to return it. I've had no problems with any shutdowns or running any of my apps. The laptop on a whole runs very smoothly despite the beeps. I just need to know if this is a fault because I don't want to go through the process of having to get it repaired later down the line if it fails completely on me. I want to get it sorted before my 21 days are up so that if I need to I can return and either get a refund or exchange for a different laptop. The beeping is random, can happen every few minutes, the beeps are short, they are not continuous and sometimes it can be about 30 mins before it happens again, sometimes they are really frequent and seem to be beeping every few minutes. I've also noticed that once or twice the beep seems to come together, two short beeps one after the other. That has only happened on a few occasions normally it's just one short beep at a time. 

I've tried to add as much information as possible, I hope that I've been able to explain everything clearly for you and that I haven't confused you! I'm also very frustrated so I would like to apologise if I sound abrupt in any way.  I, in no way mean to take it out on anyone and will be very much appreciative if someone can help me resolve this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Lekki2020 ,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forum.  If you have had this less than 15 days and have called tech support.  Take it back to the place you purchased it from for exchange.

If not contact tech support for repair options.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Have a great day and thank you for posting.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Lekki2020 ,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forum.  If you have had this less than 15 days and have called tech support.  Take it back to the place you purchased it from for exchange.

If not contact tech support for repair options.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Have a great day and thank you for posting.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I did speak with someone in technical support and they asked me to try a factory reset which I did try, and also update the bios. Unfortunately it did not help the issue and because of this they said that the laptop should not be beeping like that and it's probably a faulty unit. In the end I took it back to the store for a refund. They didn't have another one in stock and I couldn't find a replacement I liked so decided to go else where. New laptop so far is working brilliantly 🙂

HP Recommended

This (detailed and helpful) description sounds very like what I'm experiencing on my HP Envy 15. 

Can I please ask the original poster: would you say this beep was very quiet? That's how I would describe what I'm getting. It's not obtrusive but noticeable. If I was playing a game with music and explosions, or watching a film, it would be barely noticeable if at all. 

LIke you, I think, I'm only concerned that it may signal an impending worse problem; I'm not bothered enough to return the laptop and start again from scratch unless an expert can explain why this does indeed signal a serious problem. If someone was to advise me to return it just to play it safe, with no explanation, well, it's not very realistic, as I went to some trouble to choose the model, got a good deal on it, have spent time setting it up and would not like to waste time potentially exchanging a non-problem for who-knows-what else. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.