Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have a 2016 HP 15-AF113cl laptop.  I am not certain if that is a Pavilion or not.

My questions are:

1)  What options are available for upgrading the memory from the existing 6gb of memory?

2)  Would it be possible to add a second hard drive (SSD) on a caddy in the DVD bay?  If so, what parts and steps would need to be taken?  (I realize this may not be a standard authorized HP procedure - my warranty has expired and I do not want to extend).

3)  The only problem I seem to have is that the drivers for the WiFi card seem to crash the system on occasion (bcmwl63a.sys exception not handled error).  I have been rotating through the available drivers at considerable expense of time.  Is there a better performing and more stable wifi card upgrade that is possible?  (current wifi card is a Broadcom Model BCM943142Y)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Wlecome to HP support forum. Looks like your plan is to buy a new machine but allow me to answer your questions

1. RAM: Max is 8GB (2 x 4GB), currently it has 4GB + 2GB

2. SSD: Put SSD to the ODD bay using a caddy/kit is a very bad move because it will not run faster and won't be able to boot. My suggestion: replace existing HDD with SSD and put old HDD to the place of the ODD using 9.5mm caddy

3. Wireless card: You may be able to replace the wireless card. To be safe, please use the following list:

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter 792610-005
  Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter 792609-005
  Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 M.2 Combo Adapter 792608-005

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Wlecome to HP support forum. Looks like your plan is to buy a new machine but allow me to answer your questions

1. RAM: Max is 8GB (2 x 4GB), currently it has 4GB + 2GB

2. SSD: Put SSD to the ODD bay using a caddy/kit is a very bad move because it will not run faster and won't be able to boot. My suggestion: replace existing HDD with SSD and put old HDD to the place of the ODD using 9.5mm caddy

3. Wireless card: You may be able to replace the wireless card. To be safe, please use the following list:

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter 792610-005
  Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter 792609-005
  Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 M.2 Combo Adapter 792608-005

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Thanks for the advice and tips. Seems to all fit with what I was thinking, even the new laptop consideration.

9.5mm Humm.

I was wondering if swapping the drive locations might make a difference. Sounds like it does.

I haven't been able to find a drive caddy for putting the hard drive in the DVD bay for this unit. Suggestions?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.