Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-f039wm
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

HP 15-f039wm will not turn on

Used yesterday afternoon, all good, this morning will not turn on.

Have 2nd identical HP 15-f039wm - tried the battery and the power cord from this second working computer

Still it will not turn on.

Tried a Hard Reset, unplugged power cord, took out battery, held down On Button - Still it will not turn on.

Please advice.

Please Help!

If hardware repair needed - is it something I could swap-out (0 computer hardware experience)

Or

Advice as to best facility to send for repair.

(Have not done a backup in too long a while, my bad - want/need the files on this not functioning computer.)

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Manual is back online:

Manual

This is not easy to do but you can't really break an already broken laptop. 

See p. 45 of the Manual. You need an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=147017...

You have one good motherboard and 2 laptops. No point in moving motherboards around. 

With the adapter you plug the hard drive into it and then you can plug the usb cable into any other computer and pull the data off the drive. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

It's the motherboard and frankly it was never a very good computer so not worth spending much money to fix in  my opinion. Yes we can help you pull out the hard drive and get an adapter so you can get the data off of it. HP site is still having issues with the links to Manuals but if you post back ina day or so we can help you find the part number if you insist on trying to get it fixed. If you have no laptop hardware experience you are going to have to take it to a technician and there is no way it will cost less the replace the motherboard than the laptop is worth. I see used ones for sale for well under $200 so it would be possible to buy another one and swap your hard drive into it. 

HP Recommended

thank you for your Reply

I do need the files on that computer

as mentioned, I have a 2nd same computer

any disadvantages in using this already owned 2nd computer?

as you suggest, I will post in a couple of days to get the part number

HP Recommended

No as long as you back up. These were very low priced laptops and their durability and reliability is what you would expect. 

HP Recommended

" Yes we can help you pull out the hard drive and get an adapter so you can get the data off of it"

how to do this?

what adapter is needed?

If I understand correctly,

Preferred: choice #1 - (with HP advise) I (personally) can 'pull out the hard drive'  & put data on an adapter

Not best: choice #2 - pull out the motherboard and put into into the 2nd computer 

No: choice #3 - fix computer - that's a no

thank you for your time

HP Recommended

The Manual is back online:

Manual

This is not easy to do but you can't really break an already broken laptop. 

See p. 45 of the Manual. You need an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=147017...

You have one good motherboard and 2 laptops. No point in moving motherboards around. 

With the adapter you plug the hard drive into it and then you can plug the usb cable into any other computer and pull the data off the drive. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

HP Recommended

will give it a try

HP Recommended

please send the part number for/link to/where or how to find

the motherboard

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.