Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP15-g088ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My son uses his HP15 laptop at home at his desk, rarely transporting it.  He has never dropped it and is a gentle user.

The left hinge appears to be broken / defective, and the display case is separating.  For now, we're just leaving the screen open all the time, but it's a little inconvenient and the problem is certainly concerning for a laptop less than 2 years old.

Looking at the forum, it seems like a common issue.

We are HP fans in general, so I hope this issue can be resolved.

Please help.

- Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hooray!

HP fixed the problem at no cost, including shipping in both directions and the repair.

It took about 10 days in total, and we've been using the laptop without issues for about 10 days more.

It seems that the laptop hinges and display case were completely replaced, and no data was lost.

My son is thrilled to have his laptop back, and in my eyes, HP has come through.

I will not hesitate to buy another HP product, although I admit to hoping that:

1) HP's manufacuring no longer uses the faulty parts

2) HP treats everyone else with this hinge problem with the same care

Thanks HP Support and thanks HP!

- Steve

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Steve_Hinge

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Wow, that was a quick first response, thanks Omar!

I'll look forward to hearing from your colleagues and will update this forum with the results.

My fingers are crossed.

- Steve

HP Recommended

Update:

JeffC from Executive Customer Relations was kind enough to private-message me to follow-up.

He simply asked for some additional information, and will then see how HP can resolve this product quality concern.

I'm optimistic that HP will live up to their positive reputationfor quality products and great support.

- Steve

HP Recommended

I have hp15 with the same hinge problem..can I order parts from hp to fix it?

HP Recommended

Can I order parts from you to fix the hinge on my hp15?   Lou ann shepherd. I bought my hp15 at cosco

HP Recommended

Can I order parts from you to fix the hinge on my hp15?   Lou ann shepherd. I bought my hp15 at cosco.

HP Recommended

@Louann33

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Called hp. No help at all. Told me they would fix it for 200.00. Yeah? And I got 5 acts of land outside of Disney world for sale for that same amount. Gosh golly Darn! And he told me he wouldn't sell me the part cause I can't fix it. There are many youtube videos showing how to fix it. Which means someone sells the part. I already responded to the person who asked for model, serial numbers, and the name of my cat. I sure hope I get a reply soon.

HP Recommended

Hooray!

HP fixed the problem at no cost, including shipping in both directions and the repair.

It took about 10 days in total, and we've been using the laptop without issues for about 10 days more.

It seems that the laptop hinges and display case were completely replaced, and no data was lost.

My son is thrilled to have his laptop back, and in my eyes, HP has come through.

I will not hesitate to buy another HP product, although I admit to hoping that:

1) HP's manufacuring no longer uses the faulty parts

2) HP treats everyone else with this hinge problem with the same care

Thanks HP Support and thanks HP!

- Steve

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.