Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (98 Views)

HP 17" laptops don't have dedicated video memory listed in spec...

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Notebook - 17z-y000
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Purchased (2) identical HP 17" laptops:  "HP Notebook - 17z-y000", HP did not list ANY detail regarding the dedicated video memory for the "Integrated AMD Radeon R7 graphics" on the build/configure page for purchase.  I contacted HP and was advised to refer to the specifications listed in the doc entitled "HP Notebook PC (AMD) Models: HP 17-y000 – 17-y099 Maintenance and Service Guide" ( http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05143572 ).  The two R7 configurations list "AMD Radeon™ R7 M440 R16M-M1-70" with either 2048MB or 4096MB.  I purchased the laptops.

After considerable research (eventually calling AMD and using diagnostic utilities) I find that these laptops only have 512MB dedicated video memory!  I am unable to run multiple apps that require more that 512MB dedicated video memory. I've contacted HP Technical Support to confirm this and to discuss upgrade/return/exchange but was eventually referred to HP US Sales.  I contacted HP US Sales to confirm this and to discuss upgrade/return/exchange but was referred back to HP Technical Support. Time is passing, I am getting the run-around and I still have no resolution -> who do I need to contact at HP to return/exchange these laptops for what is documented?

Provost
Message 2 of 3 (70 Views)

Re: HP 17" laptops don't have dedicated video memory listed in spec...

Hi,

17z-y000 is a CTO (Configure To Order) chines. Please check your order, we can't check it for you. From 000 to 099 is at least 100 different options. Did you buy the right option to suit your need ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (51 Views)

Re: HP 17" laptops don't have dedicated video memory listed in spec...

[ Edited ]

There were no video memory specs on the build/configure page -> I contacted HP and asked for the specs on the build-to-order laptops and was referred to that documeny (which it appears you are saying is incorrect).  Not knowing what model# was/is being generated from the build/configure page, there was/is no way to know that the doc was/is incorrect for "build-to-order" (only going on what HP pointed me to).  As far as I could determine from HP, I was ordering what appeared to be appropriate.  This is now obviously not the case and HP does not want to support the customer (run around referring back and forth to contact US Sales or Technical Support).

Who do I contact to actually get this resolved?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation