Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

What hard drive you have in your laptop does not matter. It doesn't matter what the capacity is or whether it spins at 5400RPM or 7200RPM, the hard drive will take 3 watts or less of power, nothing significant. 

Yes, the 65 watt AC adapter is pretty small for your machine. Get a larger AC adapter, like 90 watts and make sure the DC voltage matches. The wattage is how much load the AC adapter can handle, bigger is better, it will run cooler but be physically larger in size.

I recommend that you buy an aftermarket AC adapter from Ebay with a 3 year warranty. They are very inexpensive and you get a really good warranty in case it should ever develop a problem.

EDIT: This is $10, 90w adapter with a 3 year warranty:http://www.ebay.com/itm/19V-4-74A-AC-ADAPTER-for-HP-DV4t-DV4-DV5-DV5T-DV7Z-DV6-DV7-90W-LAPTOP-/27086...

You need to check to see if it is compatible with your laptop. 

--> Flip your laptop upside down and look at the model number sticker and see what voltage is supposed to be coming into the machine, 19 volts right? Another way is to look at your old AC adapter.

--> Make sure the tip is the same size as what your old AC adapter is, so it'll plug into your laptop like it should.

That ebay ad lists compatible computers and lists genuine AC adapters that this aftermarket AC adapter is equivalent to.

Good luck.

HP Recommended
@marksatterfield. 150 degrees F is not that bad. It's hot but don't worry about it. Just try to keep it off carpet or any insulating materials like bedding. Breath easily that replacement AC adapters are very inexpensive to buy if your OEM adapter should ever fail.
HP Recommended

i guys i have hp pavillion dv6 6090ee i use to play games but i adapter is getting hot so fast and the cable is melting so fast. my friend as dell and his also palying game with the charger connected. 

HP Recommended
I have just brought an HP pavilion laptop.And the AC adapter I have got with it, is over heating that I can't hold in my hand . since above customers have the same problem,how can I solve this problem,does anybody have any suggestions and also to inform the manufacturer about it.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.