Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ62-207SO
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello,

I have a problem with HP Compaq Presario CQ62-207S0. My motherboard died about 10 days ago. Since it is very hard to find same motherboard I want to know if the motherboard from this (HP Compaq Presario CQ62-a10S0) notebook will work with mine notebook. This is the only similar motherboard that I have found. I know that the sockets are different, but the person that is selling this motherboard also sells the processor with it and I can get DDR3 RAM easily since my notebook uses DDR2. I just want to know are there any other things that may be the problem. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Stefan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If it bolts down into the chassis and the ports are in the same place it will probably work. There is some chance the screen may not be compatible as some motherboards can only drive a 1366 x 768 so if you had a 1920 x 1080 screen you might not get a picture. The video cable connection might not even be the same but likely it is. All other ports and connections will be the same...audio, keyboard trackpad all tend to stay the same across whole model lines. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
Hi,

Manual:
Compaq Presario CQ62-207SO Notebook PC: page 3-4, 3-5
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02542455

Compaq Presario CQ62-a10SO Notebook PC: page 20
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02542472

Specs:
Compaq Presario CQ62-207SO Notebook PC:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-Presario-CQ62-Notebook-PC-series/4149939/model/4232569/do...

Compaq Presario CQ62-a10SO Notebook PC:
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02207263

Both are entirely different models with none of their parts listed in each other's MSG. You can also notice that one is Intel, other is AMD. So it is a NO.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

I know that they are different models. But as I said in original post, the person will sell me the motherboard and processor that is suitable for that motherboard, and I will buy DDR3 RAM. I want to know are there any other things that could cause me problems, like some connectors not compatible or something similar.

HP Recommended

If you can, very carefully compare the configuration of the two motherboards with pictures or any other way you can. When they use different manuals it may very well be that the two motherboards are not even physically interchangeable. That is, the mounting holes are in different locations and perhaps the ports on the motherboard don't line up with the holes in the chassis. You can do guerilla upgrades but the documentation is not going to help much since HP never thought about you putting that motherboard in that laptop. 

HP Recommended
The ports are the same, like usb ports, vga, hdmi, memory card etc. On the outside they look the same, the dimensions are also same. I'm just wondering if there would be any problems on the "inside", like some connectors to the motherboard are not compatible, fan is not compatible and similar things. Any help on this will be great, since exactly same motherboard is impossible to find.
HP Recommended

If it bolts down into the chassis and the ports are in the same place it will probably work. There is some chance the screen may not be compatible as some motherboards can only drive a 1366 x 768 so if you had a 1920 x 1080 screen you might not get a picture. The video cable connection might not even be the same but likely it is. All other ports and connections will be the same...audio, keyboard trackpad all tend to stay the same across whole model lines. 

HP Recommended

Ok, thank you very much for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.