Post new question
Question
HP ENVY 13 gets really hot
Replies (31)

Honor Student
Message 11 of 32 (514 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 13 gets really hot

Hey Kevin, i have the same problem with my hp envy 13, it gets really hot!! Please help me out. Thanks.

Honor Student
Message 12 of 32 (495 Views)

I need assitance with my notebook hp ENVY 13, it gets really hot and i dont find a solution. Ill be waiting for your help.

Regards

Top Student
Message 13 of 32 (476 Views)

Hi, would it be possible for HP to get in touch with me as I still have the same problem with my HP Envy - it gets very hot below the screen and it is still in warraty, I would like to send it in to be looked at. Many thanks

HP Support Agent
Message 14 of 32 (467 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jennycharlie
Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out Smiley Happy

As I understand the computer is overheating and you need assistance with the same, 

Don't worry, we should be able to work together and solve this concern,

However, to provide an accurate solution, I need a few details:

When was the last time it worked fine?

Is there a specific program that overheats the computer or its random?

How long can you use the computer before you notice it's overheating?

What steps have you done, so far to identify or resolve the issue on your own?

In the meantime, you may try these steps:

Click here to watch a youtube video to solve this concern.

Causes of excessive heat

• Dust inside the computer.
  • A new component, such as a hard drive, is added. The extra component causes the power supply to work harder and generate more heat. Extra heat also radiates off the new component and adds to the temperature inside the case.
  • Over time, some cooling fans might slow down and wear out, depending on the usage of the computer.
  • High ambient room temperature.

Methods of reducing heat

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  If they did, that’s awesome!  Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 15 of 32 (462 Views)

Ill answer your questions below..

When was the last time it worked fine? i cant remember, i bought the computer two or three months ago.

Is there a specific program that overheats the computer or its random? It always overheats.

How long can you use the computer before you notice it's overheating? 5 minutes.

What steps have you done, so far to identify or resolve the issue on your own? updated the BIOS.

HP Support Agent
Message 16 of 32 (459 Views)

@Rcgt86

Are you troubled with the same issue as the user jennycharlie is?

If yes, please follow my entire post, I've listed a few links that would help you resolve the issue.

Let me know how that goes,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 17 of 32 (448 Views)

Hi @riddle_decipher,

Thanks! Answers to your questions below:

When was the last time it worked fine? Its been running hot since I bought it in January 2016 - so from new.

Is there a specific program that overheats the computer or its random? No it gets hot as soon as I turn it on.

How long can you use the computer before you notice it's overheating? 5 minutes.

What steps have you done, so far to identify or resolve the issue on your own? updated the BIOS.

With regards to your other tips about dust etc, this isn't relevant as I haven't had it long enough for dust etc to be an issue and it was like this from new. I have Windows 10 and always run the updates. I haven't added any components.

I would like to get this looked at before the warranty runs out in January and I did contact HP before but I was working in the US, HP over there couldn't help me with this model. I hear the fan running sometimes and it sounds like it is labouring. 

Do let me know what else I can do and if I can send it somewhere for repair/review or get a replacement model. 

HP Support Agent
Message 18 of 32 (430 Views)

@jennycharlie

Thank you for replying with the details,

I need to know if you've attempted to use any of the links I had provided to help resolve this concern,

Please let me know if you've performed all the steps and yet the issue persists,

Waiting to help,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Message 19 of 32 (425 Views)

Hi @Riddle_decipher,

Yes I have followed your links and instructions:

• Dust inside the computer: I have dusted it with compressed air but it had the problem from new and I have had the laptop for only 9 months. I do not expect dust to be an issue. 
  • A new component, such as a hard drive, is added: this is not applicable as I have not added any hardware. 
  • Over time, some cooling fans might slow down and wear out, depending on the usage of the computer: I do not expect this as it is only 9 months old. 
  • High ambient room temperature: Not applicable, it is stored and operated at ambient (20-25oC temperature). When not in use it is stored carefully in a case. 

Other things I have done: Updated the BIOS, frequently update Windows 10, tried to install HP CoolSense but it is not available on this model. 

Please let me know the next course of action. 

Many thanks, 

Jennycharlie

HP Support Agent
Message 20 of 32 (422 Views)

@jennycharlie

Thank you for replying,

Since the last post didn't help, Please follow the below steps,

Symptoms of heat issues and causes of excessive heat

Step 1: Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents (skip to 2)

Step 2: Ensuring proper space for ventilation

Step 3: Updating the BIOS

Step 4: Using HP CoolSense technology

Step 5: Placing the notebook in a cooler room

Step 6: Testing for hardware failure

If the hardware has failed, either replace the bad component or contact HP for further assistance

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation