Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

How much space do you need? Can maybe find a 120 gig SSD for around 50 Euros. 

Or I can just link you to a 9.5 mm actual "festplatte" like this:

https://www.amazon.de/Seagate-ST500LM021-interne-Festplatte-7200rpm/dp/B00II56U0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8...

HP Recommended

That is 51 Euros so I mine as well get the original one you suggested in solution message above. Here it is to confirm (I found one for 55 Euros): https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B007NVGWV0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Is this one good to go? Also the 22 pin adapter

HP Recommended

Yes that one is twice as big for a few euros more...but slower. 7200 rpm vs. 5400 rpm. Either will work. I prefer speed to capacity personally. 

HP Recommended

I agree! I need more cowbell!!! I mean speed...LOL!

Thanks for all your help my friend, new drive is on its way...

Wes

HP Recommended

One last question, I bought the 22 pin adapter to retrieve the old data off the down drive...I am a little concerned that some corruption could cross over onto the new drive..is that a possiblility and if so how do I prevent it?

HP Recommended

No possbility. You may transfer a corrupted file over to the new drive, but if so it will just not open and you can delete it. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

OK, I ordered the faster drive as you suggested plus the 22 pin adapter also recommended. Here is the drive you recommended to confirm:

https://www.amazon.de/Seagate-ST500LM021-interne-Festplatte-7200rpm/dp/B00II56U0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8...

It has arrived and I am preparing to install. Im watching the video you suggested showing how to add a second drive. However, am I supposed to switch the corrupt hard drive out for the one i just ordered instead of adding it into the second drive bay?

After I switch the drives out (if that`s what I am supposed to do), How do I transfer the data from the old drive over to the new one? Do I hook up the 22  pin adapter to the old one once the new drive has been installed outside the laptop and then hook the adapter from old drive into a USB port? What hapens then? is it like transferring files from an external drive into the new file system?

Please advise. Thank you,

Wes

HP Recommended

Hi Again Huffer,

I apologize for all the emails but I want to make sure I do this right the first time. I wanted to ask (in addition to the last message sent a few minutes ago), while I have the unit open, I mine as well take the time to clean it and especially clean the cooling fan. However, from the vid below that does not come with any narrative and is too fast to see what exactly he is doing, is there a video you can suggest that best explains how to disassemble my laptop so I can clean it properly?

Also, he is placing some sort of ointment or grease on some items in the unit, what is this material and is it advisable. Do I need to have some sort of special gloves or grounding wire hooked to my wrist like they used to advise in the old days when working on the inards of a PC?

Please let me know if there is a video you would recommend that best shows how to clean my unit.

Thank you.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Please disregard the cleaning questions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.