01-15-2012 12:43 PM
I currently have an HP Elitebook 8540W with Windows XP and 4GB RAM
I would to upgrade to 8 GB or 16 GB RAM with Wondows 7.
1) Could you tell me how many slots are availble?
2) What is the best instatlaation per configuration you recommand for the number of slots available?
2 slots configuration
4 slots configuration
2 Slots configuration- ( is there a 8GB memeory chip)
4 Slots configuration
01-15-2012 12:56 PM - edited 01-15-2012 12:58 PM
Please review the memory configuration options at the link below, on page 7.
Only 8 GB modules are supported on models with the i7 quad core processor. 4 slots only on models with the quad core processor.
That means if you only have a dual core processor, the maximum memory supported is 2 x 4 GB.
Yes there are 8 GB modules, and you will need to take out a mortgage to buy one.
01-15-2012 09:15 PM
I ordered 2 of these
AT913AA#ABA HP 4GB DDR3 1333 PC3-10600
My HPElitebook 8520W is Intel Core i7 CPU/M 640 @ 2.80GHz, which is I beleive is not quad-core processore.
So I should go configuration wthat uses Slot1 on Channel A and Slot 3 Channel B , I think????
01-15-2012 10:16 PM
The PDF document indicates the specs I listed below can only correspond to a dual-processor, not a quad.
Intel Core i7 CPU/M 640M @ 2.80GHz.
Would you agree?
01-16-2012 07:59 AM
According to how I read the specs, your notebook only has 2 memory slots with a dual core i7.
The memory you ordered should work fine, and be the maximum you can install.
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- Computer Does Not Start and the LEDs Blink or the Computer Beeps
- Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset
- HP PCs - Improving Slow System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer (Windows 10)
- HP PCs – Resolving Slow System Performance (Windows 8)