Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15-k220nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good people of HP support forum,

I have a Envy notebook which came with 1TB HDD and that is now a bit slow for me. I'm looking into "regular" SSD upgrade options for around $150, but that forces me to make a compromise on storage capacity. Than I thought about adding a M.2 SSD and keep my factory installed HDD but I'm not sure if there is slot for M.2. Can anyone help me?

Support page for my notebook lists "generic" service manual for Envy 17 and Envy 15, and while it adheres to most things about my model, "M.2 support is optional". Speccy lists available PCI slot but I'm not sure if that is it.

Or do I need to disassemble the board to be sure? (not an easy task if you ask me and I already changed the WiFi module myself).

Thanks guys

hp1.pnghp2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have disassembled the laptop completely to add more RAM to it and have verified that it has NO M.2 slot. There is space for it next to RAM slots, there is printing on the board, but no connector is soldered. 😞

I'll just have to be happy with one disk drive.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Update to my question. I see people here discussing mSATA disks as well and I googled a bit and learned that there are PCI-e SSD disks as well. I'm not strictly into M.2 disks, any SSD disk will do. 😄

HP Recommended

Hi @nepodmitljivi,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are have question about SSD. I will be glad to help you.

You can also get a Hybrid 1tb, 5400 with 8gb ssd part #731999-005

Hope this helps. Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks Tardis for your reply but that is not something that I would ideally want as I would have to replace existing HDD.

My goal is to keep the original 1TB disk and add a fast SSD somewhere in the range of 120-250GB.

If that is not possible that I would wait and go for a 500GB SSD in the future.

Is there a way for me to know what exactly is the available PCI express port (the one showing in Speccy) for without disassembling the board on my notebook? Is there a specification for my model or only generic ones?

HP Recommended

@nepodnitljivi,

This computer only have one port for hard drives. 

The Maintenance and Service Guide see page 2 and page 13.

Hope this helps

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hrmmm....

I'm not so sure about it. The way I read page 3 is that Envy 17 comes preconfigured with dual storage, in other words, you buy it of the shelf like that.

Same goes for wifi module

● Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter
● Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter non-Vpro version for use with HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC models only

And now I'm running the AC 7260.

And also on page 22

500 GB, 5400-RPM for use with HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC computer models 778188-005

This clearly means that only Envy 15 ship with this smaller disk, not Envy 17. Why wouldn't Envy 17 support 500GB HDD? 🙂

HP Recommended

Internal card ● One half-size mini-card slot for WLAN ● One 2280 M.2 slot for solid state drives (select models only)

It doesn't say Envy 17 models only. Confusing.

:indifferent:

HP Recommended

I have disassembled the laptop completely to add more RAM to it and have verified that it has NO M.2 slot. There is space for it next to RAM slots, there is printing on the board, but no connector is soldered. 😞

I'll just have to be happy with one disk drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.