Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15t-j100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all!

I just recently brought my laptop in to be looked at/repaired. The local technician told me that my laptop system board died due to the Windows 10 updates not playing nice with my old Windows 7 operating system (originally, my laptop had Windows 7 Home, last July I upgraded to Windows 10). I have started to look for a new replacement system board, however I have a few questions. I looked at the service manual for my laptop and can't figure out which replacement system board is adaquate/what they all mean. The serial number of my current system board in my laptop  is 720566-001. I googled this system board number and keep finding results with 720566-501 and 720566-001 in the title for the same system board. Most boards I find on eBay also have the number as 720566-501. My question is this: Will I be able to use a 720566-501 system board to replace my current 720566-001 system board? 

Additional details:

-12 GB RAM

-Intel I7 2.2 Ghz processor

-1 TB SATA Hard Drive 

-GeForce Graphics Card (not sure which type)

[Personal information removed]

-Product No. E1P05AV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

There are dozens (if not hundreds) of HP Envy 15 models/products around, your machine is an HP Envy 15t-j100 which is a CTO machine. You can see 720566-501  is for many different models/products:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=720566-501

for your machine its part number is 720566-001. 720566-001 and 720566-501 may be VERY similar but not the same.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Looks like the system board of your machine is very rare, only 4 products use it as shown:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=720566-001

(Normally up to over 200 different products use same system board)

You can buy from the above Store.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the website! The website I am questioning is this one 

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/720566-501-720566-001-motherboard-for-hp-for-Envy-15-laptop-...

where it appears the two boards are being sold as the same. Is this incorrect?

HP Recommended

Hi,

There are dozens (if not hundreds) of HP Envy 15 models/products around, your machine is an HP Envy 15t-j100 which is a CTO machine. You can see 720566-501  is for many different models/products:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=720566-501

for your machine its part number is 720566-001. 720566-001 and 720566-501 may be VERY similar but not the same.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended
That makes sense, thank you for the clarification. I have been doing some side research- from my understanding if I put in a different system board other than currently installed, say the 720566-501 version instead of the 001 version, the recovery drive will not be able to recover the OS. However, I have a Windows 7 and 8 boot drive with product keys available to me. If I remove my files using a SATA to USB adapter from the hard drive and install a 501 version system board rather than the 001 system board, could I use my Windows 7 boot drive to reload the OS?
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can always try a different one and you can get 50%/50% or use the right one with 100%. Have you read two links above ? Put Windows 7 to 501 the chance is not 50/50 anymore.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended
What do you mean by trying a different board and getting "50%/50% or the right one with 100%." Do you mean there's a 50% (or less) chance it will work with a different board and 100% chance it will work with the exact same board?

Thanks!
HP Recommended
Also, I have read through the two links as well. This part about computers is a bit out of my skill set, so I want to be educated before I begin purchasing any replacement parts
HP Recommended

@cbecker301 wrote:
....  and 100% chance it will work with the exact same board?

Hi,

Well, that is what I said and I also said you can alwways try.

Have a good weekend.

BH

HP Recommended
Thanks for the clarification! You as well!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.