Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Jahnine

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Well done... best way to deal with this problem! HP wont... and even if they do attempt a fix it is guaranteed to break again because the design is flawed.

I did the same with my own Dv7 (hinge breakage was on screen side of casing for me).

1) I bought a set of hinges on ebay (loosened them out before installing- they are too tight to start with).

2) Built up the broken plastic screw holders with an epoxy. There are several suitable.

3) Added an extra bolt to hinge- HP only fitted four screws... there are five holes for screws on the hinge, plus the plastic holder for that missing screw but not the threaded insert for it in the casing... so HP saved themselves the price of a screw and the threaded insert... thanks HP... and SHAME on you.

4) I drilled the casing and replaced all screws on both hinges with appropriately sized bolts running all the way through the casing. 

This fix works... is very strong and is I hope, a permanent solution to the problem (and the only solution that actually works long term). I took photos through the process; if anyone would like to see them I could start a blog and include them?

Blog started here-

https://hpfaultyhinge.wordpress.com/

20151229_131144.jpg

HP Recommended

I have the exact  same issue on my Envy 17 j007eo, bought 2013-07. I purchased additional years of warranty on top of the 2 years included in Sweden, so it's still covered. What's the solution when I still have warranty on the product?

HP Recommended

@Rokj

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have the same problem' help.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my Hp with a detached screw by the hinge area.

What can I do to repair it?

HP Recommended

Everyone on this thread that has this issue please email me... j.gautreau at gmail.com ... I have two of these laptops and they have done the same thing. I'm starting a class action lawsuit against them. The response you get from this forum is just copy pasted... 

Why do you think you get a PM or a phone call? They are making a lot of money off of this issue and don't intend on fixing it... Please email me, we will make them pay for the issue they put out. 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I don't have the time myself, but I did consider creating a database of users with this issue.  I would not rely on them to contact you from a single post, however.  My method would be as follows....  create an excel spreadsheet and open it in one window, with the forum home page open in a second.  Then search the word 'hinge' and filter the date range for the last year.  Then, one by one, look at each resulting thread.....  and copy and place each user name into your excel document.

My purpose was to see the number of unique users reporting the issue to HP on the forum over a period of time.  My rough estimate just reading the forum each day was 3-5 per day.... but without the research, there are no hard numbers.

HP techs have said either that they don't look at the forum for such data....  certainly a lie.... or that what you see looks like much more due to repeated postings by the same disgruntled users.  Fair enough, but almost none of them would create unique user names for their multiple posts.

One more thing to keep in mind.....  not all HP laptops use the same hinge system.  My problem was with the Envy...  which fail on the left side, separating the bottom case shell.  Other laptops models have failed in other ways.  The Envy looks to have a much higher failure rate, so it would be important when getting a true number to restrict the research to those with the Envy or models with identical hinges.  That would take some serious online research as well to determine which models use the same hinge arrangement. 

I have not the the time or I would do this myself....     But good luck!

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with my ENVY 17 Notebook PC, case broken open by the rear left hinge, just as described by others. I bought this over a year ago.
Can someone from HP get back to me with repair options?

HP Recommended

Exact same thing has happened to this notebook.  The left hinge finally broke off!!  Started having issues before the warranty was over but was out of the country and couldnt get it taken care of.  Now HP says they can do nothing.  Warranty expired a few weeks ago  Sounds like this should have been recalled!!!  CAN SOMEONE MAKE SUGGESTIONS AS TO HOW TO GET THIS REPAIRED? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.