Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@rick5557 @Bernie2016

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I too have the same issue.  My left hinge broke and now it's cracking the case.  I had previously tried calling HP on this issue and they swore they that this is not a known issue.  Then they wanted to to charge me $400 to replace the hinge.  This issue is now getting worse and I'm not sure what I can do with this laptop.  It's a shame because I really liked this laptop when I first bought it.

HP Recommended

I'm another with an Envy with a broken back left screw/hinge. This is the second HP laptop I've purchased in two years to have this problem. Any chance I could get one of these PMs that seem to fix everything?

HP Recommended

@Claytor

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for forwarding my information to the appropriate team.

FWIW, I was contacted for additional information, and the system has since been repaired.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Kevin. It's appreciated.

HP Recommended

Well, this has now happened to me too. I have a envy 17-j013cl. Left hinge, just as described by others. What can I do to get this fixed?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

The plastic between casing and the aluminum has broken also. So every time I open my laptop, the left side basically comes apart from each other. This is obviously a widespread issue and I would hate to pay for a new back cover when this is a design flaw. 

HP Recommended

Today, I sent my HP Envy in for repair.  I was charged the $130 amount to fix the left hinge on my laptop.  The first on failed at 8 months and was fixed under warranty.  The repaired on failed another 8 months later after the warrnaty expired.   I caved and paid, but what choice do we have?  The choice will come when the next purchasing decision is made.  I run an office with 8 pc computers, all networked, and 5 desktop printers.  I buy 2 computers a year, on average and 2-4 printers (they're all junk these days).  Guess how many HP's will show up in my offices in the future.

The hinge issue is a DESIGN FLAW.  I would even be okay if they said 'since you're out of warranty, we'll fix it at cost'...  but I don't believe that's the case.   I don't believe it will cost HP $130 to fix the hinge.   Many folks on here have paid the full repair price of well over 200 dollars!   That leads to one unfortunate truth....

HP is PROFITING from fixing their own DESIGN FLAW.

Dispicable.  And what's worse is that they treat each customer differntly.  I paid $130 'cause I complained for an hour or so and made a fuss on social media.  Others pay $200.  Still others pay upwards of $300... all for the same repair.

Curiously, one person on here reported being out of warranty AND having the hinge fixed for free....  I'm wondering if anyone else managed that trick. 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my HP Envy 15. I don't what to do. Please can someone help me?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.