Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

When I turn on my HP Envy 17 3070NR the screen is bright white.  I can connect it to another screen.  I suspect that perhaps the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the laptop is loose, based on this youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3rlnuAfGzY

There is also this youtube of how to remove a similar screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeUs8ojYNwI

However I think my model is slightly different.  I there a service manual like document for removing the screen somewhere?

TIA,

Ole

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your help.  I'll probably end up doing more harm than good in an attempt to reach the display cable, so I'll probably just use the machine as a "Macbook Mini".

Thanks again,

- Ole

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Yes here is a link to the Manual:

Envy 17 Manual

Page 79 shows the procedure for removing the display housing from the computer. If all you want to do is replace the whole panel there is an easier way to do it. Just remove the front bezel and remove the screws on the side of the panel that connect it to the hinge brackets running up and down each side the pop out the panel. A whole white screen is likely a bad display panel but could be the cable (much less likely). The shorter procedure will allow you to check the connection of the cable to the back of the display as well as remove the screen panel for replacement.

This youtube video shows the easier method, but it shows a slightly later model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeUs8ojYNwI

Still, the video gives a good idea of the steps to follow. 

If you want to replace the display cable you have to do the more involved procedure as in the Manual. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your help.  I'll probably end up doing more harm than good in an attempt to reach the display cable, so I'll probably just use the machine as a "Macbook Mini".

Thanks again,

- Ole

HP Recommended
I have the same problem I took it to a repair shop it was $80 to get the new LCD screen I hit the computer against something and $35 for the labor.
HP Recommended

I disassembled my machine as indicated in the linked video (which I found via search, before coming here) and another one (not linked) to be able to access the hinge screws and mobo connection for the cable. I checked that the video ribbon was firmly attached at the board, and given that the factory tape was still in place and there was no gap in the connection on the panel connection, should I assume the panel is bad? As in the LCD is going out and I need a new screen?

The white seems to be intermittent: sometimes it will be ok for awhile, and other times it will be white at boot. As others have experienced, it's fine when I plug the machine into another video output (for example, HDMI to my TV works great).

When white from boot, it is bright white, and when it comes to the windows login prompt, then blacks out momentarily then comes back as a dimmer white as the windows chime sound plays.

HP Recommended

Same Problem here, 

Anyone changed the screen and it worked? Mine went white when I picked up the laptop with the screen only.. I felt one of the hinges fo loose, but when I opened the pannel every cable seem fine.. 

I'd like to know if anyone changed their screen and it solved it. 

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.