Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 6-1014NR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop was bought with a Windows 7 OS pre-installed.  About a year ago, I took advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade.  No problem and so far so good.  

Today I decided to upgrade my factory HDD to a SSD to improve performance.   I clone the entire HDD using Macrium Reflect and it went ase expected.  

After switching out the disk drives and upon booting up to the SSD, I am taken to the Windows Boot Manager screen.  It recognizes that I have a hardware change (HDD -> SDD) and suggested I boot with the Windows Instalation Disk, Select Language and Next, before choosing Repair option.  How do I get around this issue as I never gotten a Windows Installation disk (no CD drive on this model)?

On the Windows Boot Manager, there is a subsequent screen to select an OS.  Although I can see the Windows 10 option, after selecting the option it takes me right back to the Windows Boot Manager screen.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know what repair options W10 gives you.

If there is a command prompt option, you can try running the repair options listed in the below link.

They are for W7, but perhaps W10 uses the same commands.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

I would not invest too much time in repairing the installation, as you will probably be able to clean install W10 and install all of your programs and files in less time that it will take to figure out the problem (if you can).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can make your own W10 installation media at the link below.

After you do that, you can select the Repair option on the bottom left of the Install Now screen.

If you have to, you can use the disk to reinstall W10, and if it had previously legally been upraded and activated, it will automatically activate once you are reconnected to the internet.

If it was not activated, you will need to reinstall W17 and upgrade to W10 again.  But if you have had it on there for a year, most likely it was activated successfully.

When you go to clean install W10, you will be given an option to enter a product key (which you don't have), and there will be an option to select: 'I don't have a product key.'

You select the 'I don't have a product key' option and W10 will install.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing the link to the installation disk.  I was able to put it on a USB and did what the Windows Boot Manager suggested.  However it didn't fix my initial issue.  I still can't start up my activated Windows 10 (upgrade from Windows 7) machine with the new SSD.

Once in the installion disk, I selected the language and went to the Repairoption.  However I am not sure where to go from there in order to get my laptop to boot properly.  I tried the fixed start-up problem option, but that didn't work.  

I am wondering if Microsoft thinks it is a different machine so it won't let me.  I hate to do a clean install (of Windows 10?) using the disc.  

Any suggestion or experience on how to fix this issue when replacing a HDD to SSD on windows 10?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know what repair options W10 gives you.

If there is a command prompt option, you can try running the repair options listed in the below link.

They are for W7, but perhaps W10 uses the same commands.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

I would not invest too much time in repairing the installation, as you will probably be able to clean install W10 and install all of your programs and files in less time that it will take to figure out the problem (if you can).

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help and quick response.  

Great news!  I successfully was able to switch over to an SSD without having to reinstall Windows 10!  The computer runs so much more quiet and smooth now.  I can't even tell it is on.  

Have a great weekend!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You have a great weekend too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.