Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@Nate5

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

So true!!! SEVEN PAGES of posts complaining about the SAME THING and the Moderators repeat the same bull. Just blowing smoke up all our rear ends. We must all be making it up, right??? LOL!!! HP contacted me and wanted me to pay over $200 to fix the hinges that were a design flaw on their part!!! YEAH RIGHT!!! Thankfully I purchased a warranty from Walmart when I purchased it, so they had me send it to them and they fixed it at no cost!!! Even paid for shipping to them and back to me. HP IS A JOKE!!!!!! Never again will I purchase another. I have since bought both my son and husband new gaming computers, but we stayed FAR AWAY from HP products. What a disgrace they are!!! FIX YOUR DESIGN FLAW, HP. STOP TRYING TO MAKE MORE MONEY OFF YOUR SCREW UP!!!!! Listen to your customers. (Or former ones, such as myself.) You should be ashamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

I see with all the hinge problems it would not do any good. for me to complain about mine or the last lap top. I had.thanks hp now I know what not to buy. I will use this one till it stops working then get something different. 

HP Recommended

@brokenhinge

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have a very similar issue complicated by the fact that in order to continue using this laptop after being told an outrageous amount to repair by HP last year and having peices of the plastic and loose screws actually get stuck in the fan and cause overheating issues, I put epoxy on the hinges to hold them down.   HP also couldn't seem to determine if the laptop was under warranty or not, I got different answers each time I called  now it definitely isn't under warranty.  Actually hasn't been under warranty ever since I decided to attempt a permanent fix!

I also didn't like the fact that they required that the hard drive go in with the laptop.  In the past I've seen them wipe the drive as a matter of course, besides there being personal information on it.  For a mechanical repair, their should be no reason the HD is required!

The epoxy repair worked for the remainder of the year, until my daughter was in Spain for a semester, and the stuff let go.  I haven't attempted to open the case to examine the problem closer yet.  Soon...  I've got till the end of July when she goes back to school.

The epoxy repair was performed in January of 2015 before she went back to school, and let go in March 2016. 

At my prior job we were an HP reseller and I have an Elitebook 8760w that is very well constructed so I thought that the HP Envy would be of similar construction quality when I was looking for a laptop for my daughter to use throughout her college career.  I am fairly disappointed with the build quality for this laptop.

Is there any good way I can get HP to repair this for a reasonable price?

Like many others that have posted to this thread, I personally believe that HP should go back to the drawing board on the design of the hinges and how they are fastend to the case.  And should issue a recall to fix the problem gratis.  The hinge connections to the bottom should not disintegrate under normal opening and closing of the screen! 

Thanks for any assistance given with this matter.

HP Recommended

I, like many, have the same problem.  

A HP rep said there were less than 15 complaints, then said even less.  A simple search shows there are systematic problems with the ENVY aross the board, but also other models.  

They had a recall, even though I was told they did not, and they continue to sell faulty computers that ultimately cease to work.

http://www.classaction.org/hp-laptop-hinges-lawsuit

"It has been reported that a number of Hewlett-Packard (HP) laptops have been sold with defective hinges. It is believed that the company may have known about the defect before selling the laptops, misleading and deceiving consumers about the value of the laptops and their accompanying warranties.

Attorneys would like to hear from anyone who had a hinge break on their HP laptop computer to help determine whether a lawsuit can be filed on behalf of those who missed the recall deadline."

HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy touchSmart Laptop. I have had it for about a year. Both the hinges were broken after only a few weeks of having it.  The case pops open and it causes the computer to go to sleep sometimes when I move the screen. It is very bad and disappointing. I see that a very large amount of people have this problem with not very good results for help.  Can you please advise me as to what HP can do for me? This should be a recall issue with as many people that have this problem.  I can not give up my computer for repairs as it is my only one and I need it for work daily. Really I feel HP needs to replace the laptops. This is an expensive laptop.  I paid over $1500 for it. What is HP doing to compensate or repair or replace the thousands of broken hinges? I don't see how the hinges can be fixed as the case is broken where the hinges have broken loose.  

Thank you

20160722_134417_1.jpg20160722_134444_1.jpg20160722_134417_1.jpg

HP Recommended

If it is out of warranty they will do nothing, HP does not stand behind their products.

HP Recommended

Well, after posting comment on this site, one of the HP rep contacted me to help out. I'm surprised to see the quality of service to fix my 2 years old laptop without any cost. they mentioned that it is one time exception to fix 'out of warranty' laptop. I've also expensive laptop cost me over $1000. 

i'm using it right now and belive me it looks like a brand new machine now.  

just wana say Thanks to the HP managers who jumped on my issue and resolved it professionally.

for all sending laptop to HP for repair " MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA, HP WILL RE-IMAGE THE MACHINE AND SEND YOU BACK WITH ORIGINAL WINDOWS INSTALL"

HP Recommended
Thank toy for the replies. I'm not sure why replacing hinges calls for reformatting a hard drive unless they gave you a new computer. Which is what they should do. Also I bought my laptop after the recall so they shouldnt be selling a computer with bad hinges after the recall. So there's no way to take advantage of the recall since my laptop was made after it with faulty hinges. The recall was in 2008 to 2009 I bought my laptop in 2014. Which means that they're still making computers with the same hinges that broken 2008/2009 which is a scam in my opinion. This is years later and they're still making computers with these crappy hinges.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.